Custom Computer?

AprilRamone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apriloharephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have a custom computer that they use specifically for their photo editing? I've been using my laptop for the past couple of years, but I hear that it's much better to use a desktop and a good monitor since it's faster and the color calibration will be easier/better. Plus my laptop is going kaput and I think instead of buying another one, I'm going to go back to a desktop.
Anyway, my Dad is really good with computers and I'm trying to do some research on what other pro photogs are using with their custom computers so I can figure out what I want with mine. So if you have a set up you'd like to share, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks,
April

I am using a sort of customised computer. it is a PC with a fast cpu and extra memory (in particular the memor makes a huge difference) and a large widescreen
with accurate colours.

I just went the other way, purchasing a 'workstation replacement' class beefy laptop. 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme, 4 Gigs of ram, dual 7200 RPM hard drives. The thing has dual-link DVI and will drive a 30 inch Apple Cinema Display in SLI mode.

Probably overkill for typical photo editing, but it is for 3D work and After Effects, etc. Also needed a fat write off this year. Praise the lard!

Basically any modern workstation will suffice, so perhaps you can put some softwares in your budget as well as springing for a Spyder calibration system and better than average monitor. Printer, external HDD, the list goes on..

-Shea

Probably overkill for typical photo editing,

not at all, at least not when I am batch workin on large numbers of RAW files or when reducing noise or grain from high res scans or images from digital cameras.

I always think things are too slow.

I run an iMac 20" 2.16 gig Core 2 with Lightroom and CS2. It is really satisfying. Depending on the amount of work you do a buff computer can really help your workflow.

Love & Bass

When im in the field shooting or traveling I use a 17" Widescreen HP notebook with 2.8 GHZ P4 proccessor 512mb ram 120Gig HD.
At home I use a Compaq 2.4GHZ P4 proccessor 1GB ram and 1TB HD and 17" LCD monitor.
I planning on building a custom desktop strictly for video and photo work, im looking at newegg to purchas part from.

I just built a Pentium Core 2 Quad 2.4 with 4 gigs of Ram. I gutted my previous computer and used the same case, and hard drives, which contained all of my photos. It now has 1tb of drive space in it. I don't think it's overkill at all considered the volume of photos I'm working with and what I'm doing to them. Not to mention, I'm a graphic designer and I am often running 2-3 Adobe applications at once, which can really hog system resources.

How the Quad Core system working? I heard there are problems with it for personal pc but worked great more so for servers.

Do you have any problems with window crashing alot, or non compatability with other hardware and software?

I've had no problems with anything crashing. I'm running Windows XP SP2 and the Adobe CS2 suite, with super performance. I've installed all kinds of various software from anti-virus to FTP, and I haven't noticed a hitch. All of my hardware, including two monitors with webcams built in, (and all the software that comes with it) have worked fine. Tablet works fine. Thumbs up from me.

I use the following...
Desktop
P4 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM
1TB External Storage (USB2.0)
160GB Internal Storage (SATA & ATA)

Laptop
Dell Inspiron 9300
4GB RAM
80GB
17" Screen

Memory - 4GB
Monitor - Get the very best you can get.
Storage - 500GB drives are really reasonably priced and I would go with external storage (USB2.0/Firewire) or network attached storage.

I've had no problems with anything crashing. I'm running Windows XP SP2 and the Adobe CS2 suite, with super performance. I've installed all kinds of various software from anti-virus to FTP, and I haven't noticed a hitch. All of my hardware, including two monitors with webcams built in, (and all the software that comes with it) have worked fine. Tablet works fine. Thumbs up from me.

Sweet, I might have to purchase the quad core after all.

Get maybe 2 or 4 gigs of RAM, a big hard drive, a big backup hard drive, good graphics card and an awesome monitor. Everything else is up to you.

Interesting topic. One of my plans for the new year is to add a computer and monitor for photo work ONLY. It won't be on the network, or have any other software installed. My files only... no customer supplied files.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back