Custom made silencer has arrived!

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Well they look like some badass silencers!

A friend of mine wishes that his tripod is higher but he's not really about to get a bigger tripod, so I said i can design an height extender for him. By "design", it's simply a tube with two ends that has a bolt and a screw thread for tripod and the mount. I had them fabricated by someone else and he used super beefy aluminum tubes, which means it ended up quite a bit heavier than expected. Anyways, I hope this will work out for my friend.

I know you have a lot of questions because this doesn't all make sense. Why wouldn't my friend just get a taller tripod? Well, he does wedding photography for his friends by himself and he uses his tripod for external flash, so he wants something that can project the light from a higher angle. This means, his main intent isn't for stability.

Even if this is for a camera, it won't be aimed to improve stability. Physics is like God, you don't say no to physics. However I've been thinking, this may be a good compromise for those who wants a light weight and compact tripod for travel but needs the extra height at times. This tube can easily be tugged between the tripod legs when collapsed, meaning it won't be a size burden. The main thing to improve is to make it light weight. I was actually thinking along the line of a running relay baton kind of light weight, but the fabricator that made this must be thinking that we are going to mount a canon on it or something. The tube he used has a wall thickness of 5mm.

Doing a quick search on the mighty interweb, I only found one example of such a thing. It's not patentable, but do you guys see this as a marketable camera accessory? May be it comes with one of those super saver camera kit bundles on ebay?

h43Rgdn.jpg

XntLXxh.jpg

UFVZbDx.jpg

Last edited:
so it's basically an aluminium rod drilled/tapped on each end?

do you guys see this as a marketable camera accessory?

Certainly not with the 5mm thick tubing. Making it with thinner tubing might make the end plate connections weaker.

My guess is that if somebody needs a taller tripod, he will just buy a taller tripod.

You might find a market for it - things like this can have a surprising number of little uses and some tripods don't come with central columns and are just 3 legs to a central plate. IF a person wants to go a little higher its an option.

That said its the sort of thing that people would likely expect in a few different sizes - small, medium, large - sort of affair. The other flipside is cost and production. If you could batch order a huge number it wouldn't be too expensive; but on the flipside it might be the kind of thing that sells really slowly.

I'd do some strong market research into the idea - though the fact that there isn't anything on the market like it might say something - people who really do want more height might well just get taller tripods to start with.

My guess is that if somebody needs a taller tripod, he will just buy a taller tripod.

Yet the first sentence in the first post actually states that this was made for someone who wanted a taller tripod...

Sorry but I'm only allowed to rain on one parade a day and I already used it on another thread. Lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

not a solid rod. That will be ridiculously heavy. Plus, the threaded end is stainless steel. Aluminum threads won't last twice.
What'd you use? 1050? :confused: Threads correctly cut especially in more durable alloys like 6061 or 7068 will last just as long as those cut into steel and won't damage the threads on the tripod.

Most reactions

Back