Custom White Ballance?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought the Hoya R72 filter and I know that you set your cameras white balance manualy when shooting in infrared, but I cant figure out if my camera has tha capability, and if so, how to do it. I have the Nikon D90. If I cant do this, what white balance would it be best to switch my camera to when shooting infrared? Thanks

Mark

Ok, so the camera has a PRE whitebalance mode where (as I read) you can take a picture of a gray card and the camera will use a new, custom white balance to produce wanted results. Would I just do the same thing for the infrared, but take a picture of sme nearby grass?

Mark

I don't try to set my custom WB without a white balance Grey card. I specifically have a WhiBal grey card.

It's in the manual on page 100. I have tried it on occassion without the WhiBal card, but it just works better with it.

Even when taking infrared photos? Ive always heard to take it set to the grass or nearby foliage?

Last edited:
Even when taking infrared photos? Ive always heard to take it set to the grass or nearby foliage?

Yes, WB on the grass. Make sure it's properly exposed though - you may have to do a couple test shots to get the exposure right. The grass & leaves should be white.

You could also shoot RAW and WB later, that's what I do. I just do a click WB on the grass, or leaves on a tree.

Most reactions

Back