Custon WB adjustment in LR4 looks funny?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody else think the custom WB adjustment in this photo looks funny? The first photo is SOOC with zero adjustments. The second photo is WB adjusted using the gray card she's holding in her hand. On my monitor is looks VERY green to me. WTF? Which of these looks more "correct" to you?

1. SOOC

8614856672_dc6b470384_n.jpg
[/URL] RH SOOC by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Custom WB using Gray Card

8614858184_c702f43926_n.jpg
[/URL] RH CWB (Card) by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

SOOC looks a slight,slight,slight bit too cold. The #2 looks way too warm. IN the second shot, the background appears polluted by yellow light; and if the shot was lighted with an incandescent or tungsten source, and the shutter speed was a bit slow, well, it might actually BE polluted with yellow-ish tinged light.

Overall, the gray backdrop in #1 looks cold-toned, #2 the backdrop looks very warm-toned.

The skin tones trend the same way,cold, and warm, but are not quite as blatantly obvious.

Split the difference, maybe? Perhaps pick one white balance, and then apply a Tint adjustment as well???? Both of these would pass muster with non-hyoper-critical audiences.

im not seeing the "green" on my monitor. i might go check on my wifes monitor and see if theres a difference. otherwise, I agree with Derrel's assessment.
I think #2 would be fine if you cooled it down juuuuust a bit. otherwise, its not bad at all. #1 is definitely cool, but obviously correctable.

I shot at 1/200 and there were 2 lights on in the room to help with focus, but they were fairly dim. I'd guess that very little ambient light is being picked up at 1/200, but I could be wrong.

I ended up picking a middle ground between these 2 that looked "correct" to my eye and used that. But I still find it frustrating to not "nail" the WB using the gray card.

I shot at 1/200 and there were 2 lights on in the room to help with focus, but they were fairly dim. I'd guess that very little ambient light is being picked up at 1/200, but I could be wrong.

I ended up picking a middle ground between these 2 that looked "correct" to my eye and used that. But I still find it frustrating to not "nail" the WB using the gray card.

What lights are you using ?

2 YN 560 Mark II speedlights fired through 24x24 softboxes.

Not all gray cards are created equal, and she is holding the cards at an upwards angle.

What kind of lights were on in the room, f/3.5 lets in a lot of ambient light, and ISO 400 also means more ambient light?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back