Czstochowa - the Old town

Smena is the camera ?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
Gary, that was a Soviet equivalent of Rollei 35 :lmao:

You've got some serious skill it looks like here. Keep up the good work.

The whole reflection thing is a little bit tiresome in so pictures all in a row. But I'm assuming these are all from one outing, and it happened to have rained, in which case okay.

Thats like saying wedding photos are tiresome because they have the bride in most shots

Yes. Those ARE also tiring for the exact same reason. When was the last time you saw multiple photos of somebody's own wedding displayed next to each other on a wall or bookshelf? I never have. As opposed to many occasions where I have seen multiple mixed/varied local scene photos on display in groups.

I'm not ragging on the OP. If you go out on a shoot and there are lots of puddles, you shoot lots of puddle photos. Nothing wrong with that. I'm basically just saying "I look forward to seeing the rest of the variety you shoot in the future."

Last edited:

The whole reflection thing is a little bit tiresome in so pictures all in a row. But I'm assuming these are all from one outing, and it happened to have rained, in which case okay.

Thats like saying wedding photos are tiresome because they have the bride in most shots

I thought that exactly.

Wedding photos and new infant photos and pregnancy photos and engagement photos are generally all very tiresome.
Not to mention most car photos, most tree photos, most flower photos.
And people photos, etc.

That's the struggle for photographers - to show something in a new and interesting way so that one doesn't feel like gagging.

I thought that exactly.

Wedding photos and new infant photos and pregnancy photos and engagement photos are generally all very tiresome.
Not to mention most car photos, most tree photos, most flower photos.
And people photos, etc.

That's the struggle for photographers - to show something in a new and interesting way so that one doesn't feel like gagging.

Im with you for a change, but you can leave trees out of it, i have got a small tree exhibition coming up

I love your theme. Keep it up!

Some great photos on your flkr ! Who is Владимiръ Карловичъ Шнейдеръ ? :)

Marcin, It looks to me like sort of exhibition...

Yes I may assume that it was some sort of exhibition :)

Some great photos on your flkr ! Who is Владимiръ Карловичъ Шнейдеръ ? :)

Thank You !

Władimir Karłowicz Sznejder - I've found these information for my friend, who need these note to family tree.
He was an officer in 189 Bialgoradzki reserve infantry regiment in 1914. The scan came from a book Spisok pulkownikami po starszenstwie. In Russian Imperial Army, after the Milutin reforms in late 60. XIX century, there ware many changes in organizational and administrative level. One of them was a need to publish at the end of a year, exactly list of the officers and generals that serve in the army.

Interesting. It is a Jewish name. Russian Imperial army was highly antisemitic, it was almost impossible for a Jew to become an officer, even more so after 1912.

Interesting. It is a Jewish name. Russian Imperial army was highly antisemitic, it was almost impossible for a Jew to become an officer, even more so after 1912.
It doesn't look like he was a Jew, as a religious faith is given Orthodox Christianity. (sixth line from the top, below the day of birth marked as 14 March 1857).

It doesn't look like he was a Jew, as a religious faith is given Orthodox Christianity. (sixth line from the top, below the day of birth marked as 14 March 1857).

Yes, I see it now. The surname is definitely Jewish, but he must be a christened one. Christened Jews were more accepted, the segregation was based more on faith rather than ethnicity, but the official policy was toughened in 1912. A lot of Jews stated they were Christian just to be able to join the army those days.

Welcome to the forum. I like what I see!

Yes, I see it now. The surname is definitely Jewish,
Name is German. Since Peter The Great Russia had strong ties with The West, especially Germany (or rather Prussia) and England. Many emigrated to Russia for good. Technical people, artists and soldiers. They have had families, the name went on. But who knows of that officers origins, to be an officer one had to be a nobleman with an independent income, a land owner. So, if there was a switch of faith it must have happened long before he was born.

Yes, I see it now. The surname is definitely Jewish,
Name is German. Since Peter The Great Russia had strong ties with The West, especially Germany (or rather Prussia) and England. Many emigrated to Russia for good. Technical people, artists and soldiers. They have had families, the name went on. But who knows of that officers origins, to be an officer one had to be a nobleman with an independent income, a land owner. So, if there was a switch of faith it must have happened long before he was born.

Probably. But also Schneider is one of the German names which was most actively adopted by Ashkenazi Jews in Russia (Same as Portnoy - the Russian equivalent of the surname Schneider/Taylor) Russian Jews did not have a surname at all prior to XIX century. Same with Karl - the Hebrew name of German origins. So I would say for each (unlikely) "German" Schneider there will be probably 100 "Ashkenazi" Schneiders in Russia. Anyway, all Russian Schneiders I know about are Jews.

I think we have highjacked the thread now. :wink: My apologies to the OP.

I think we have highjacked the thread now. :wink: My apologies to the OP.
The history is complicated, but you are right, we are "bad highjackers". Apologies.:blushing:

Most reactions

Back