D3, how long will the king reign

JRPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonrowphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Its been about 18 months since the release of the D3 and it is still hanging onto the "King of the High ISO" title, along with the D700. I wonder if Nikon hit the nirvana of noise with this sensor. Its seems to be a perfect blend of pixels to noise ratio that will be difficult to beat in a FX format. It may take larger dimension sensors or a jump in technology before it can be beaten. What do you think?

p519423671-5.jpg

BLOG [URL="http://jasonrow.wordpress.com"]http://jasonrow.co.uk[/URL]

Nikon went for noise and ISO
Canon went for MP

IN this round nikon won for the more experienced shooter and canon won for the MP marketing salesman. Though the 5DM2 managed a respectable noise control, fullframe and 5DM2 prices are not for everyone!
As for staying ahead autumn is when people are expecting to see a canon 60D release - expecting a similar 15MP sensor but with improved high ISO noise control, manual controled video mode and an AF improvement.

Come on canon -- please ? :)

Last edited:
Yep. I have my checkbook ready for the 60D. :)

I would - but I would really love a 300mm f2.8 first!
methinks I will be with my 400D till my shutter dies!

How long will the D3 remain on top? Until the next camera release from either Nikon or Canon... lol

At 18 months, it is already 6 months longer than most situations. Even if Nikon releases something better than the D700 (which I own), or the D3, I would not purchase it. It's capabilities are so high that I will easily be good for 5 or more years with this body, as long as it lasts.

King of what? High ISO? Yeah that's like saying I'm the King of my bedroom. How about the King of megapixels on SLR, Canon? Or the King of medium format, Hassy? I'm sure IronFlatline here will talk about the King of Rangefinders, Leica?

For all we know Canon could completely abandon the D3 market (low megapixels high ISO), for all we know they could be plotting their downfall right now.

These discussions are stupid when applied to an industry which takes huge dramatic leaps every year or so.

King of what? High ISO? Yeah that's like saying I'm the King of my bedroom. How about the King of megapixels on SLR, Canon? Or the King of medium format, Hassy? I'm sure IronFlatline here will talk about the King of Rangefinders, Leica?

For all we know Canon could completely abandon the D3 market (low megapixels high ISO), for all we know they could be plotting their downfall right now.

These discussions are stupid when applied to an industry which takes huge dramatic leaps every year or so.
You're sure pissy today. But we love you anyways. :hug::

Its been about 18 months since the release of the D3 and it is still hanging onto the "King of the High ISO" title, along with the D700. I wonder if Nikon hit the nirvana of noise with this sensor. Its seems to be a perfect blend of pixels to noise ratio that will be difficult to beat in a FX format. It may take larger dimension sensors or a jump in technology before it can be beaten. What do you think?

BLOG [URL="http://jasonrow.wordpress.com"]http://jasonrow.co.uk[/URL]

Maybe make a large format body so that all the people can start buying Velvia in insane sizes again? :mrgreen:

No but seriously - the colors were absolutely beautiful here as is the detail, especially blown up to full size. Damn if it doesn't want to make me invest in large format before I learn to walk on 35mm.
Tokyo fishmarket on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Meh, I give it another 4 months.

Seriously though, I see the high ISO race nearly as insane as the MP race. I just want a nice clean 3200. Thats all I need.

I just want clean ISO 800..... clean 3200 would be a revolution for me! (I can't even get that high!)
the trick with higher ISOs is that we don't end up getting nice clean high numbers, but with softer fine details because of the powerful noise reduction - that is something that I do hope does not happen - especially in lower tier cameras.

Oh I know. Sorry about that :(. There wasn't even a reason for it. I had a pretty good day yesterday.

Point still stands though. There is no such thing as a King in the technology world, and even if you could stretch the definition the reign would be shortlived.

Oh I know. Sorry about that :(. There wasn't even a reason for it. I had a pretty good day yesterday.

Point still stands though. There is no such thing as a King in the technology world, and even if you could stretch the definition the reign would be shortlived.

Ipods?

Nah... he hit the nail on the head... (Keeping up with the Joneses Syndrome)

Ipods?

haha ya right no way

Most reactions

Back