D300 built-in flash never fires

notelliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
silliest problem ever. all i want to use it for is triggering SB-800s, but no matter what, the god damned thing never works. works on other D300s of course. anyway

anyone else had this issue? just wanted to know if it wasn't an isolated issue before it goes to nikon for repair.

Sorry if this is a silly question for you,
But do you
1) Have the camera in Comander Mode
2) Have the onboard Flash turned off in the Flash Menu

1. negatory
2. negatory

Well honestly I think the whole system is pretty stupid because it just sems so unnecisarily complicated. I am sure there is some setting you are forgetting I would double check everything bfore sending anyhitng off anywhere.

Put the flash in commander mode. That should work.
Wouldn't make a difference.

You can get to pop up, correct? It just doesn't fire.

Check battery power.
Reset to default settings.
Test again.

Well honestly I think the whole system is pretty stupid because it just sems so unnecisarily complicated. I am sure there is some setting you are forgetting I would double check everything bfore sending anyhitng off anywhere.
that's exactly my train of thought. i've reset it twice, tried with all kinds of settings changes and nothing works.

silliest problem ever. all i want to use it for is triggering SB-800s, but no matter what, the god damned thing never works. works on other D300s of course. anyway

anyone else had this issue? just wanted to know if it wasn't an isolated issue before it goes to nikon for repair.

1) It may just plain be broke

2) Is the profanity necessary? I personally don't care one whit about it, but some people are personally offended by that particular phrase.

Are you trying to trigger ther SB-800 Off Camera or when it is mounted to the hot shoe?
If it is off camera you will need to be in comsnder mode and the flash will need to be set as well.

One other question, will the flash fire then you are not trying to trigger the SB-800

Homer.jpg

EDIT:
Read it completely wrong the first time.

Yes, you will need to select the Commander mode if doing off camera flash. Set Custom Setting Menu e3 to Commander mode. Built-in flash will funtion on any ( --, TTL, M), as will the Groups. Try everything set on TTL first.

Make sure that the flash and camera are set to the same channel (I use 3) and same Group (A or B).

Make sure the flash is set to Remote. (Hold center button down for ~3 seconds and move to the right block on top once in the menu).

Make sure the built-in flash is up. You don't necessarily need line-of-site to fire the SB800, but do so in this testing. The receiver on the flash is beside the battery compartment, have it facing your camera.

Check your batteries.

Sorry about the first goof.

it doesn't fire when i hide my sb-800s. obviously, it doesn't fire with an sb-800 in the shoe. doesn't fire when i stare into it. it's going to nikon.

Is the profanity necessary? I personally don't care one whit about it, but some people are personally offended by that particular phrase.
if you don't care, "one whit", why mention this? and as long as we're being picky, it was blasphemy, not profanity.

Just saying in passing, this is one reason why I chose to buy my bodies locally.

it was blasphemy, not profanity.
Regardless, it's one of the seven words and there are people sensitive to blasphemy.

if you don't care, "one whit", why mention this? and as long as we're being picky, it was blasphemy, not profanity.

Oh good grief, if you are going to get snippy, at least try to be accurate.

Webster's:

Profanity: noun ( pl. -ties)
blasphemous or obscene language : an outburst of profanity.
• a swear word; an oath.
• irreligious or irreverent behavior.

If you don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

I personally am not offended (not being a Christian/Jew/Muslim/anybody else who have prohibitions about using the name of God in vain), I mention it because I think it is counterproductive to unnecessarily offend a large segment of the population by taking their God's name in vain. It serves no good purpose, and is disrespectful to others.

george carlin died, guys. sorry. i don't care.

Just saying in passing, this is one reason why I chose to by my bodies locally.

i got mine from nikon canada for a lot less than retail, so i don't mind sending it back once.. (also in passing)

Most reactions

Back