What's new

D300/SB-600/Paul C Buff CST question

waynegz1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
1
Location
San Antonio, TX
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a Paul C Buff CyberSync CST on the D300, CSRB connected to the SB-600. My question is, what is the fastest that I can have the flash trigger. It flashes first then on the 4th frame again. How can I set it up to flash on each of the 6 frames I take?

Sorry if this question is dumb, but I am confused and the manual doesn't tell me poo.
 
Are you asking about the flash recycle time? If so, then I'm going to guess that it's 3-4 seconds for recycling at full power.

My SB-800 and 900 speedlights take 3-4 seconds in real world shooting for full recycle, regardless of what the manual claims.

If you are waiting for the recycle time and it's not firing, then it could be a compatability issue between the Paul Buff unit and the camera or flash. In my experience, I had to upgrade my Pocket Wizard system when I first switched to digital because one of my bodies would not always trigger the unit.
 
Boost your ISO, open the diaphragm (get more light in) and lower the flash power on the AB = faster recycling time.
 
Yes, it sounds like the problem is the recycle time of the flash is the reason that it doesn't fire for each frame.

The recycle time is dependent on the power level that the flash is firing at, so by using less light from the flash, you can have it recycle faster. To do that, use a higher ISO and a wider aperture (lower F number)...and maybe get closer to your subject.

Also, the type and charge level of the batteries can affect the recycle time. So use fresh batteries.

The most practical solution, is to just avoid shooting so fast. Slow down to a rate that will allow your flash to catch up.
 
what would you say would be an optimal flash power setting??
 
what would you say would be an optimal flash power setting??
The one that exposes the subject properly.

IIRC, the flash duration of AB's gets longer as you decrease the power output, which may effect the motion stopping ability of the lights.
 
IIRC, the flash duration of AB's gets longer as you decrease the power output, which may effect the motion stopping ability of the lights.
He's using an SB-600.

what would you say would be an optimal flash power setting??
As mentioned, the best setting is the one that gives you the light output for your exposure. But what we said before, is that you can require less light from your flash by using a larger aperture, a higher ISO or getting the flash closer to your subject.
 
Thanks guys. I will mess with it when I get home later tonight.
 
Doh!
 
IIRC, the flash duration of AB's gets longer as you decrease the power output, which may effect the motion stopping ability of the lights.
He's using an SB-600.
IgsEMT mentioned the AB's.

I have seen "AB" more often as I look into flash options. Could you give a quick explanation of what that is please? Please excuse my ignorance.
 
^well may have figured it out if it isn't Allen Bradley or Anheaser Busch... are you guys talking about Alienbee flash units?
 
ABs are cheap (relatively speaking) units and provide great results.
I've seen them to be consistent (at full power) 9/10 times. And they come in pretty colors, kids love them when they see it.
There are some other GREAT units out there that are more powerful and more consistent but they are also more expensive.
Brand new AB800 + a stand will come out to about $350, even less. So for about $1,000 you can get a small studio lighting setup.
The downside is that many folks buy these units and then ask, "I have a portrait shoot coming up and when my flash on camera fires, the unit fires but picture is to dark, whats wrong?" You have to understand WHY you're (anyone) is buying these and how to use them.
Good Luck
 
The recycle time wasn't too bad, but when I have the flash mounted on the camera, it flashes along with the shutter. So I will do some playing around with em tonight to see whats the best one for me
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom