D300/SB-600/Paul C Buff CST question

WARNING! DO NOT EXCEED THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF CONTINUOUS FIRINGS. You should allow the SB-600 to cool off for at least 10 minutes after the maximum number of continuous firings are performed as shown in the table below.
See page 38 of your SB-600 Instruction Manual.

ABs are cheap (relatively speaking) units and provide great results.
I've seen them to be consistent (at full power) 9/10 times. And they come in pretty colors, kids love them when they see it.
There are some other GREAT units out there that are more powerful and more consistent but they are also more expensive.
Brand new AB800 + a stand will come out to about $350, even less. So for about $1,000 you can get a small studio lighting setup.
The downside is that many folks buy these units and then ask, "I have a portrait shoot coming up and when my flash on camera fires, the unit fires but picture is to dark, whats wrong?" You have to understand WHY you're (anyone) is buying these and how to use them.
Good Luck

thanks igsEMT. Where does that other $650 go if the light and stand are only $350? Wireless transmitters, umbrella and backdrop? A battery pack to power the light, or can you just plug it into a wall? Are there other things that are necessary?

Where does that other $650 go if the light and stand are only $350? Wireless transmitters, umbrella and backdrop? A battery pack to power the light, or can you just plug it into a wall? Are there other things that are necessary?

Bingo. Accessories like Light modifiers (soft boxes, umbrellas, beauty dishes, etc.), battery pack(s)...and yes they CAN be plugged into the wall assuming said wall is available, backdrop(s), and transmitters (though IIRC the AB's have optical triggers in them, don't quote me on that though).

Most reactions

Back