D300s or the D700????

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Nikon link provided by Jerry and one of the Nikon press release I read, I assume D700 is a professional camera. At least that is what Nikon target it for. :er:

From the Nikon link provided by Jerry and one of the Nikon press release I read, I assume D700 is a professional camera. At least that is what Nikon target it for. :er:

I believe different branches of Nikon, being Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, Nikon Japan classify their cameras differently. According to this press release Nikon Press Center - THE AGILE NEW NIKON D700 FX-FORMAT D-SLR CAMERA DELIVERS PERFORMANCE INSPIRED BY THE NIKON D3 IN A SMALLER, LIGHTER DESIGN it seems to imply that the D700 is prosumer and the D3x, D3, and D300 are pro. In the DSLR comparison they only lump the cameras into two categories pro and non-pro. http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/DSLR_Compare.pdf

Going back to a more relevant point to the OP though... does it matter if the camera is branded as "pro" if it doesn't provide some key features that a current gen professional would look for in a new body?

A full-frame body will allow you to have a lot more flexibility in terms of high ISO,as well as cropping decisions post-capture. A full-frame body will allow a lot better background defocusing at typical flash exposures which use a small lens opening like f/8 to f/11 or even f/13 in the sunlight.

The problem with APS-C cameras and people photography is that to get a full-length photo in a normal indoor environment, the photog needs to drop focal lengths down into the 19 to 33 mm range ALL THE TIME. With a small sensor, that focal length range causes deep depth of field, so you end up shooting outdoor flash exposures at exposures like 1/200 second at ISO 200 at f/13 with a crop-body camera. That gives you group and couples photos that have the couple in-focus, as well as the ugly wall 35 feet away in recognizable focus.

The high-ISO, non-flash capabilities of a 864 square millimeter, Nikon FF D700 sensor are indisputably better than with a smaller Nikon APS-C camera that has a sensor 2.33 times smaller. With a FF Nikon, an 85mm 1.8 lens is a wonderful,useful tool indoors or outdoors at the reception. On a crop-body, an 85mm prime combined with the FOV crop-off factor forces you to shoot many pictures from 34 to 60 feet away--too far in many reception areas.

A D700 will last for many years. A beginner deserves every chance to succeed. Buy good tools, and they will work with you on every shoot. Buy tools never designed for wedding work, and they will hinder you on every shoot. I saw a chart last night--the D300 accounted for about 3 percent of Nikon's 2008 sales, the D700 only 1 percent of sales, while the D40 and D60 were about 10 percent each of Nikon's sales.

While I usually agree with a lot of what you say, you make it sound like wedding photography was not possible before the almighty D700 :lol:

I believe different branches of Nikon, being Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, Nikon Japan classify their cameras differently. According to this press release Nikon Press Center - THE AGILE NEW NIKON D700 FX-FORMAT D-SLR CAMERA DELIVERS PERFORMANCE INSPIRED BY THE NIKON D3 IN A SMALLER, LIGHTER DESIGN it seems to imply that the D700 is prosumer and the D3x, D3, and D300 are pro. In the DSLR comparison they only lump the cameras into two categories pro and non-pro. http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/DSLR_Compare.pdf

Going back to a more relevant point to the OP though... does it matter if the camera is branded as "pro" if it doesn't provide some key features that a current gen professional would look for in a new body?

am i missing the place that it calls the D300s PRO? I see the D3 and D3x....but not the D300s

A full-frame body will allow you to have a lot more flexibility in terms of high ISO,as well as cropping decisions post-capture. A full-frame body will allow a lot better background defocusing at typical flash exposures which use a small lens opening like f/8 to f/11 or even f/13 in the sunlight.

The problem with APS-C cameras and people photography is that to get a full-length photo in a normal indoor environment, the photog needs to drop focal lengths down into the 19 to 33 mm range ALL THE TIME. With a small sensor, that focal length range causes deep depth of field, so you end up shooting outdoor flash exposures at exposures like 1/200 second at ISO 200 at f/13 with a crop-body camera. That gives you group and couples photos that have the couple in-focus, as well as the ugly wall 35 feet away in recognizable focus.

The high-ISO, non-flash capabilities of a 864 square millimeter, Nikon FF D700 sensor are indisputably better than with a smaller Nikon APS-C camera that has a sensor 2.33 times smaller. With a FF Nikon, an 85mm 1.8 lens is a wonderful,useful tool indoors or outdoors at the reception. On a crop-body, an 85mm prime combined with the FOV crop-off factor forces you to shoot many pictures from 34 to 60 feet away--too far in many reception areas.

A D700 will last for many years. A beginner deserves every chance to succeed. Buy good tools, and they will work with you on every shoot. Buy tools never designed for wedding work, and they will hinder you on every shoot. I saw a chart last night--the D300 accounted for about 3 percent of Nikon's 2008 sales, the D700 only 1 percent of sales, while the D40 and D60 were about 10 percent each of Nikon's sales.

Wow, it's a good thing the D1 through D2h were all full frame or else all those wedding photos from earlier generations would have been ruined.

The out of focus distance issues you describe are ridiculously exaggerated. Use a dof calculator and you'll see that for a infinite number of focal lengths and distance to subject the difference between crop and full is generally 1 step forward/back or less.

So itzfnb, do you own a D700?

Oh wait, I see in your signature you obviously don't. Hmmm, you do seem to have a D300s though. Good on ya.

Can't seem to find that "talking out of his ass" smilie. Anyone got a spare?

am i missing the place that it calls the D300s PRO? I see the D3 and D3x....but not the D300s

I said the article "seems to imply"... so don't say I said it used the words pro or professional... this is the quote I was referring to though:
NikonUSA said:
Nikon’s flagship FX and DX-format cameras, the D3 and D300 respectively, established new benchmarks for digital image quality, speed, and unmatched ISO performance.

And here is the D300 press release directly labeling it professional.
Nikon Press Center - NIKON INTRODUCES THE NEW D300 PROFESSIONAL DIGITAL SLR CAMERA

Wow, it's a good thing the D1 through D2h were all full frame or else all those wedding photos from earlier generations would have been ruined.

The out of focus distance issues you describe are ridiculously exaggerated. Use a dof calculator and you'll see that for a infinite number of focal lengths and distance to subject the difference between crop and full is generally 1 step forward/back or less.

According to you.. the D2x wouldn't even be a pro camera.. as it lacks Dual CF cards.

The D300s is not a Pro camera.. neither is the D700. If you have a problem with memory cards taking a dump on you.. I suggest you buy better ones. I worked in a senior portrait studio all summer long, working from 8-5... taking pictures all day long.. 5 days a week, Never once did a memory card just die on us and we lose the images.

So itzfnb, do you own a D700?

Oh wait, I see in your signature you obviously don't. Hmmm, you do seem to have a D300s though. Good on ya.

Can't seem to find that "talking out of his ass" smilie. Anyone got a spare?

I owned them both for a week and returned the D700. I shoot with a D3 and D3x quite often. So yes I'm able to speak from experience and direct comparison. And what's your point? I've made statements based on paper specs and never implied otherwise.

Where's the clueless I didn't understand any of the thread smilie?

According to you.. the D2x wouldn't even be a pro camera.. as it lacks Dual CF cards.

The D300s is not a Pro camera.. neither is the D700. If you have a problem with memory cards taking a dump on you.. I suggest you buy better ones. I worked in a senior portrait studio all summer long, working from 8-5... taking pictures all day long.. 5 days a week, Never once did a memory card just die on us and we lose the images.

Did I not specify current gen? Yep, I'm pretty sure I did. Another moron who loves to join a thread without reading any of it. Congrats on never having a card die on you. You clearly have no technical understanding on the weakest link in your system. Again I specified,,,,, pros bring backup bodies but don't think twice about writing to a single card? That does not make sense.

And if you don't think the D300/s is a pro camera then argue with Nikon. Because they think it is.

Did I not specify current gen? Yep, I'm pretty sure I did. Another moron who loves to join a thread without reading any of it. Congrats on never having a card die on you. You clearly have no technical understanding on the weakest link in your system. Again I specified,,,,, pros bring backup bodies but don't think twice about writing to a single card? That does not make sense.

Sounds to me like you are honestly just trying to justify your purchase. Congratulations on resorting to name calling btw... thats real uhh.. professional of you...

Sounds to me like you are honestly just trying to justify your purchase. Congratulations on resorting to name calling btw... thats real uhh.. professional of you...

If I felt the need to justify anything or felt that my purchase was inferior then I'd just put D3 in my signature and edit all my exif data to show D3. I purchased both the D700 and the D300s and found the D300s to suite my needs where the D700 did not. I would have purchased a D3 but I've heard rumors that the D4 could appear end of this year beginning of next.

And yes. You're a moron. You attack me without even reading the posts. That's moronic behavior. I'm not a professional nor do I care about maintaining a professional persona on the internet.

If I felt the need to justify anything or felt that my purchase was inferior then I'd just put D3 in my signature and edit all my exif data to show D3. I purchased both the D700 and the D300s and found the D300s to suite my needs where the D700 did not. I would have purchased a D3 but I've heard rumors that the D4 could appear end of this year beginning of next.

And yes. You're a moron. You attack me without even reading the posts. That's moronic behavior. I'm not a professional nor do I care about maintaining a professional persona on the internet.

If you honestly think that post was an attack... You need thicker skin.

If you honestly think that post was an attack... You need thicker skin.

Saying "According to you..." and then saying something ridiculous is an attack. I'm not saying it hurt me in any way. But it's an attack none the less. And the fact that you didn't even read the previous posts to know why that was brought up makes your post even more ridiculous.

Have you posted anything useful?

I've provided my opinion to the OP and a technical reason for having such an opinion. I haven't seen much from others aside from bashing my opinion. Maybe you should stop worrying about how thick my skin is, stop worrying about my opinion that was directed to the OP not you, and provide something useful instead of sitting there like a moron posting useless garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back