D300s or the D700????

Status
Not open for further replies.
itznfb, In the Nikon D700 Press release you posted, It says

"Nikon’s Second FX-Format Camera Delivers Peak Pro Performance in a Versatile Form-Factor"

"Building on the immense success of the Nikon D3 professional D-SLR camera, the D700 offers pro-level performance and an extensive array of features and innovations in a comfortably nimble platform"

It also says what you quoted.. but more...

"Nikon’s flagship FX and DX-format cameras, the D3 and D300 respectively, established new benchmarks for digital image quality, speed, and unmatched ISO performance. The D700 maintains this new measure with exceptional overall image quality, broad tonal range and depth, and extremely low noise throughout its native ISO range of 200 to 6400."

At the time of the article... You had the

D60, D80, D300, and D3... The D700 had JUST been release.. and not available to the public until late July... Also.. quoted from the article..

"The new FX-format Nikon D700 D-SLR camera will be available late July 2008, and will have an estimated selling price of $2,999.95 (body only).*"

So.. at the time of the article.. the D3.. and D300 WERE the flagship models... Because the D700 was NOT on the market.

Also, from the D300 Press release from 2007 that you posted.

"Nikon today introduced its most advanced DX-format digital SLR camera, the D300. Engineered with pro-level features and performance, the 12.3 effective megapixel D300 combines brand new technologies with advanced features inherited from Nikon's newly announced D3 professional digital SLR camera to offer serious photographers remarkable performance combined with agility."

In the D300, D300s, and D700 articles, they are say Pro like, except for in the title of the D300 press release, that is the only spot to say Professional except for when it is talking about the D3..

Now compare that to the D3x Press release... the first paragraph of it..

"Nikon Inc. today announced the D3X, an FX-format digital SLR featuring extreme 24.5-megapixel resolution and superb low-noise capabilities, which provides professional photographers with commercial-quality image performance in a familiar and extraordinarily versatile D-SLR form factor. In conjunction with the groundbreaking Nikon FX-format D3, the D3X tops off a collection of flagship level, rugged, professional caliber digital single lens reflex cameras engineered to excel in all types of professional photographic disciplines from photojournalism and sideline sports, to commercial in-studio applications."

If you honestly think that the D300 is more of a Pro camera than the D700... you sir are terribly mistaken. Now the D300s does have the dual cards over the D700, but that's just about the only thing it has... FPS doesn't matter.. If you have the battery grip like any Pro should.... then they even out at 8fps anyways.

To the OP,

To answer your original question... Yes, the D700 IS twice as good in low light situations than the D300. I would pick the D700 over the D300 any day of the week.. It is honestly just a better camera, if it wasn't... then why would nikon even bother making it?

Congratulations on resorting to name calling btw... thats real uhh.. professional of you...
Uhmm....errr... I may have been the culprit for the onslaught with my smilie comment. I was out of order and would like to apologize to you, itznfb, all that read this thread and to the community at large. Sorry folks. Bad day at work. :oops:

To the OP,

To answer your original question... Yes, the D700 IS twice as good in low light situations than the D300. I would pick the D700 over the D300 any day of the week..
:thumbup:
that's why my D300 is a backup to my D700 :peacesign:

This is an amusing thread, as those totally unfamiliar with either medium format or 35mm full-frame or digital full-frame step up to the plate and try to extoll the virtue of crop-body cameras for wedding photography,and make ridiculous misinterpretations of simple facts about optics,capture formats, cameras, and people photography.

One of the most annoying misrepresentations is the idea that somehow photography done with the Nikon D1 and D2 generations was somehow not fully professional. I owned two D1-series bodies, and still have a D2x and yet I ADDED a Canon 5D system JUST FOR PEOPLE PHOTOGRAPHY, because, yes, people and studio work done with an APS-C camera looks un-professional to me. Every Uncle Bob and Aunt Sally has an APS-C dslr in this day and age. People hire a pro to get images that they,or friends or family, CAN'T MAKE. Entry-level crop bodies are the new Instamatic of the 2000's. Moms have them, dads have them, high school kids have them,etc.

APS-C has become the "affordable" format since 2001,and it is not used by most higher-end or even mid-level portrait or wedding shooters; virtually all of the higher-payed shooters are shooting full-frame d-slrs. The pictures look richer, better, and with more-selective focus,and make much better "event" pictures in the eyes of older, well-monied clients with taste and a bit more life experience from the pre-digital era.

When people think of "professional" portraiture, they think of a clear subject, in high resolution, with an out of focus, blurry background....and in fact, many people will call up and ASK,specifically, if we can, "Shoot a clear sharp picture of everybody,but with the background nice and BLURRED." You can get that "look" by buying VERY expensive Canon 50/1.2 L, 85/1.2 L, and 135/2 and 200mm f/2 L lenses and using them on your crop-bodied camera.
OR you can get the same "looks" and pay $9,000 less by just buying a full-frame camera and using "regular" professional-grade lenses. Adamant crop-body fanatics seem penny-wise and pound-foolish WRT to professional gear.

Of course, if you were born in 1982, you probably wouldn't realize that the above is what a lot of monied clients are expecting when they hire a "professional" photographer. If you sell any microstock, you'll soon realize that NOISE levels will get files rejected just about faster than anything else. Bigger is better.

Those who can not discern the visual,aesthetic,or technical differences between APS-C and FX images,and who learned on APS-C and have been shooting for 4 or 5 years often seem to forget that there has always been an underclass of shooters and an established, professional class with training and discerning clients who expect "more" than what their nephew can get.

Last edited:
Last edited:
One of the most annoying misrepresentations is the idea that somehow photography done with the Nikon D1 and D2 generations was somehow not fully professional. I owned two D1-series bodies, and still have a D2x and yet I ADDED a Canon 5D system JUST FOR PEOPLE PHOTOGRAPHY, because, yes, people and studio work done with an APS-C camera looks un-professional to me. Every Uncle Bob and Aunt Sally has an APS-C dslr in this day and age. People hire a pro to get images that they,or friends or family, CAN'T MAKE.

If you think the sensor somehow magically enables you to take a better photograph then you are indeed way more out of touch than I though. A full frame sensor has it's advantages but to make a ridiculous claim that a shot taken with a APS-C sensor doesn't look professional just shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

itznfb, I do respect your opinion. But it is a little different from what I read from other places. And some of your points are valid. If I am going to shoot for money, I would rather save the photos to 2 separate cards at the same time if possible.

interesting thread full of a lot of incorrect info. Parkerman's info is right though.

I backup my statements with facts and his posts are incoherent ramblings... god I love the internet.

Incoherent ramblings? Did you miss my post on this page??

I used direct quotes from the "factual" information in which you provided.

interesting thread full of a lot of incorrect info. Parkerman's info is right though.

I backup my statements with facts and his posts are incoherent ramblings... god I love the internet.

You backed up your statements with info and facts that YOU dont understand yourself.

For now on, you are known as the guy who thinks the D300 is above the D700 :lol:

Incoherent ramblings? Did you miss my post on this page??

I used direct quotes from the "factual" information in which you provided.

Both your posts on this page are incoherent ramblings.
If you want to get down to the most detailed wording possible then the D700 is only mentioned as a professional camera in an article. It's noted as have professional level performance in it's press release. The D300 is noted as "professional" in it's press release.

I have no idea what you're even getting at honestly. Your post is so useless I fail to see your point. I even stated in the same post your quoting me from that Nikon lumps the D3x, D3, D300, D300s, and D700 in the same category and everything else into the non-pro category.

Will you please go back and read the entire thread so maybe I wont have to read another one of your retarded posts?

And if I ignore you again please don't post just making sure I read your last post. You're starting to seem like a left out little puppy.

he uses direct quotes from the links that YOU post and somehow he is incorrect. There is nothing wrong with admitting you may not have had all the information and that you agree with another view.

but then thats what mature professional people do....and we know theres none of those around here cause only you shoot the D300s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back