I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
looking to upgrade the D90 in a few months, and I have been thinking about what to get. this isn't based on a NEED to upgrade, its more of a WANT to upgrade and keep the D90 as a backup. up to now, i have been looking at either a D300s, or a D7000.
I have looked at them on snapsort, and DxOmark, and other review sites, but im really looking for a more visceral assessment from some people that have used both in a real working environment. Ive looked at them both at the camera store, and they both have a good feel to them. there are things i like about both of them. the AF on the 300s, the sensor on the 7000. Aside from my occasional use, it would be mainly used by my wife for weddings and portrait work. Unfortunately, my wife isn't able to work full time, she spends half her time at home taking care of our special needs child so I can work full time to keep our benefits, so we aren't talking about constantly hammering out pictures. I really like both cameras, and both will be within budget. is there anything that about these cameras that snapsort of DxOmark didn't cover that might help with our decision? or something in particular about one that makes it better suited for weddings? (we don't care about video BTW) both cameras seem pretty well suited for what we do.

Wait till someone hops on a d600 and gives up their d700. I know it wasnt an option but I would personally get the d300s for the build and AF system.... Technically speaking, the d7000 does have the better sensor but that depends on how content you are with the d90.

we love our D90...its just a good financial time to upgrade. we would probably look for a used camera. there seem to be plenty of D7000's on craigslist. don't see as many D300s though. im not sure if that is because the D300s wasn't as popular, or if people just tend to hang on to them more.

I don't own 7000 but have worked with it on numerous occasions; I do own 300s...
One, VERY important feature for me is PC port. I need it, its a MUST for any of my cameras that I take to work. If you need that feature then the answer is simple.
In terms of image quality, both camera do a wonderful job at ISOs up to 800, at which d7000 takes a step further to 1600 where 300s isn't so HOT at those numbers.
Print quality: I've printed anywhere from wallet to 24x36 with 300s - LOOKS GREAT. 7000 (don't want to start debate) - I was told by colleagues who have that camera that going larger then 16x20, imperfection (not really noise) begins to show up, ESPECIALLY at higher ISOs.
d7000 feels a bit more compact, like a toy, compared to D90, although it does OUT PERFORM, d90 both in stills and video.
Video, d7000 has autofocus, not sure how good it is, BUT I think its better then manual focus of d300s.

D300s, I think is built better. I've used it on rainy days, humid days, etc - it works better then my 700 (before it was replaced :) ).

If I didn't have d90 now, I'd consider purchasing d7000 for family/run around stuff. My d90 is a vacation body, its also my 3rd back up on any given day.

As for you
Here are advantages, that I found from using the two
D7000
+ Video AF: I don't even remember when my camcorder is, after I started using d90 for video.
+ Little Gem: its a LOT of camera, in a small/compact body for relatively INexpensive price.

D300s
+ feels more like a serious camera vs a toy :)
+ better built then d700
+ controls, in my opinion, are more accessible.

Price - varies b/n the two.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

With what has been happening with Nikon lately, think about D600. Although I'm not a big proponent of purchasing the first batch of gear, it isn't THAT much more expensive then d300s and if it performs in real life as it does on the paper, then its a GREAT camera for relatively inexpensive price.

Hope that helps.
Good Luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back