sd card issues

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I needed to upgrade to a bigger sd card. I have been using a transcend 8gb and have never had any problems. The guy at the camera store said he only carries the best kind of card and has never heard of transcend. He sold me the delkin device 16 gb and it seems very slow to me. I am getting a lot of 'busy' signals when shooting. I plan on taking this card back this week, do you think it is a bad card? Or a bad brand?

Why do you want a bigger card?

If that card fails you'll lose twice as many pictures. Maybe it's just me but I feel safer using the smaller cards. You'll probably have to carry multiple cards if you do it that way though.

I upload pretty much every day. But with the one I have now I can only take a little over 200 photos. With the 16 gb it gives me 500.

Delkin isn't exactly top of the line either. They make some great cards and some low on the totem pole cards.
What class card is it? What exactly does the card say on it?
Transcend is definitely not much above bottom of the barrel. Second to the no-named ones. They aren't bad, but i wouldn't trust anything high risk to them just because.

16gb delkin devices 163x

does that help? I knew I should have went to amazon to read ratings before I bought it, but I needed it for a photoshoot that day.

Truth is there are only a few true manufacturers of memory devices but a LOT of people putting their labels on them. The biggest difference is in how they are tested. Most of them have a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" but some manufacturers thoroughly test the devices before they sell them. Theirs will seldom have a return and the warranty is seldom necessary. Others skip the thorough burn-in and just replace a bad card when it is returned.

I've been in IT for many, many years and I've used a lot of different kinds of memory. I've had some of it fail to, however there are two brands that I have never had fail and they are the only two brands I'll use in my cameras. Kingston and Sandisk. It could, of course, happen tomorrow but in all the years I've been using Kingston it has never let me down. Sandisk is in the same category and I've never had problems with it either.

I always download my photographs as soon as I get home, and if I'm on a multi-day trip I swap them out daily. I use 32gb cards and haven't had any problems yet. With my D7000 I do insure myself and have it set to write each image to both cards in the camera. That way if one does fail I've got the backup.

16gb delkin devices 163x

does that help? I knew I should have went to amazon to read ratings before I bought it, but I needed it for a photoshoot that day.
It's one of their low end cards. Slowest ones they make. For $10 what do you expect?

16gb delkin devices 163x

It's one of their low end cards. Slowest ones they make. For $10 what do you expect?

well I paid $30!! :( anyway I'm returning it tomorrow

Truth is there are only a few true manufacturers of memory devices but a LOT of people putting their labels on them. The biggest difference is in how they are tested. Most of them have a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" but some manufacturers thoroughly test the devices before they sell them. Theirs will seldom have a return and the warranty is seldom necessary. Others skip the thorough burn-in and just replace a bad card when it is returned.

I've been in IT for many, many years and I've used a lot of different kinds of memory. I've had some of it fail to, however there are two brands that I have never had fail and they are the only two brands I'll use in my cameras. Kingston and Sandisk. It could, of course, happen tomorrow but in all the years I've been using Kingston it has never let me down. Sandisk is in the same category and I've never had problems with it either.

I always download my photographs as soon as I get home, and if I'm on a multi-day trip I swap them out daily. I use 32gb cards and haven't had any problems yet. With my D7000 I do insure myself and have it set to write each image to both cards in the camera. That way if one does fail I've got the backup.
I have a few kingston cards too and I've had really great luck with them-even though they aren't the greatest made cards. I am using CF cards. There is a real difference in the two. No moving parts in a CF card. I have run a kingston card thru the washer and dryer. Still have it. Still works.
BUT, my weddings I trust to Hoodman Raw. 0% published failure rate. EXPENSIVE??? OH HELL YES. Which is why I only own a couple of them!

thanks guys. I'm looking at this one....good?

I think that's what I have in my D7000. I know they are Sandisk but not sure of the rating. They work fine for me.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back