D3100 or D3200

i would get a used D90 if you think you might get serious with your photography. dual command wheels makes shooting in manual so much easier. plus it has a built in focus motor which will let you auto focus ANY nikon AF lens, instead of only being able to auto focus with AF-S lenses.

if strictly deciding between the D3100 and D3200, go with the D3200.

Last edited:
I normally don't purchase the latest camera body. That is why I have an used D5100 body for $375. Yes, I purchase used equipments. All my lens are used, except 24-85mm FX VR.
As a beginner, D5100 body will last you a while. The most important equipment is the len. 55-200 is ok for now, but wildlife photography requires long focal length; 300mm or higher.
Photography is addictive. I am sure you will upgrade your len within a year. :)

If price is an issue (and when isnt it) you should consider a refurbished camera.
My D3200 and both lenses are refurbished and I havent had a single issue. The body and lenses are covered for 90 days by Nikon and I have a free 1 year warranty on my camera from Cameta.com

Im not certain if posting links to sites is against any rules but check out this deal:
Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens (Black) -Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I love my D3200 so far, but the one thing I feel that it lacks is HDR. But thats Nikon for you...

I know this topic has been discussed, but I have some anxiousness about purchasing my first DSLR. (A trip to Yellowstone has really made me want a new camera!)

Best Buy and Walmart have a package deal on the 3100 right now, throwing in the 55-200 lens for $499.

I can get the 3200 for $549 without an extra lens. (also on sale)

I am a crop-aholic, so I am leaning towards the 3200 and purchasing an extra lens later... but my friend who has just purchased the 3100 says she loves it and I will probably want the extra lens right away.

I currently have a Nikon point and shoot coolpix (10mp). I shoot a lot of wildlife and the extra zoom would be nice to have. I am a complete novice, and just enjoy playing around with editing pictures, but would like to become more skilled in photography.

My biggest question is, will it be worth it to get the D3200 now and to wait a few months for the extra lens? Or is the 3100 just about the same camera for less money AND I get the extra lens now. (no delayed gratification :D )

Here are some pics I took in Yellowstone with my point and shoot Nikon.

View attachment 47304
go with the D3200, i got mine and no issue so far till today.

Attachments

• $DSC_3063.JPG
    $DSC_3063.JPG
    434.8 KB · Views: 90
I'd go with the D3200, if those really are the choices, simply because they brought back the wireless remote shutter release through the ML-L3 again and the wireless TTL for a remote flash. The former was a huge gripe when I went from my D40 to D3100, I couldn't believe they removed the feature, the later became an issue when I purchased my SB-700 and wanted to remove it from the body as a master (I believe the d3200 allows the SB-700 as a master, where the D3100 only a slave). I'd have to resort to radio flash triggers and a silly wireless shutter module that attaches to the usb on the side of the body.
I'd really consider the 5100 or 5200 if you can swing it, I plan to upgrade to this body soon, or skip it to a 7X00.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back