D3100 overexposes by 1 stop

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

My d3100 has started to overexpose by about a stop. Exposure comp is zero, using matrix metering as nearly always. I know i can control by experience compensation -1 but I'd rather have it set at zero as my reference.

Anybody have any ideas to solve? Thanks

No specific ideas, but have you tried resetting the camera to factory defaults? I've heard of that working when weird stuff like this happens.

maybe the metering module has dirt on it or something.
Try using a blower up into the viewfinder box.

Set the camera however you have to set it to get the exposure you want. Reference isn't an issue.

Does the D3100 offer the meter compensation feature, or meter offset feature, found on higher-level Nikons? Keep in mind that this is NOT Exposure Compensation, but an "invisible", and I mean invisible! way to correct the meter so that 0.0 is correct. This is a way to get the meter itself set to deliver the proper level of exposure, which then allows the user to use Exposure Compensation in the normal manner,without running out of compensation setting options. This setting is kind of buried in the Custom Settings menu options on higher-level Nikons I've owned.

I cannot recall the actual name Nikon uses for this, but this might be called something like meter fine-tuning I think. After the user makes the adjustment, there is not a visible reminder of the value that was dialed in.

Do you suppose the overexposure is related to the lens and its iris diaphragm? Or does the overexposure happen with multiple lenses?

Fine Tune Optimal Exposure might be the menu option. Check this thread,D3100 overexposes by 1 stop

and search for others. Custom Setting Menu>b Metering/exposure>b4 Fine Tune Optimal Exposure. You can tweak each of the three metering options.

Thanks all. I haven't been on this forum much lately but now remember why i like it here. I'll try suggestions when i am back off work during the week

Does the D3100 offer the meter compensation feature, or meter offset feature, found on higher-level Nikons? Keep in mind that this is NOT Exposure Compensation, but an "invisible", and I mean invisible! way to correct the meter so that 0.0 is correct. This is a way to get the meter itself set to deliver the proper level of exposure, which then allows the user to use Exposure Compensation in the normal manner,without running out of compensation setting options. This setting is kind of buried in the Custom Settings menu options on higher-level Nikons I've owned.

I cannot recall the actual name Nikon uses for this, but this might be called something like meter fine-tuning I think. After the user makes the adjustment, there is not a visible reminder of the value that was dialed in.

Do you suppose the overexposure is related to the lens and its iris diaphragm? Or does the overexposure happen with multiple lenses?
It does seem most noticeable with my sigma 150-600, but I'll recheck all lenses again. It's not a lens i generally use with the little Nikon so maybe that's the issue

Most reactions

New Topics

Back