D3300 battery options?

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Basically I need an extra battery for my d3300, but what I'm having trouble with is whether I should spend the money on oem Nikon en-14a which is like $50 or a cheaper aftermarket option on amazon for less the price and probably even get another.

Does anyone have advice? And if you say go aftermarket then does any one have a good suggestion for a d3300 battery choice?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

You won't get a consensus on that question. Every time it comes up the answers are about half each way.

From my personal experience I bought an aftermarket battery years ago as an extra. It supposedly had a higher ampacity than the Nikon battery but in reality only lasted about 2/3 as long. It also got to the point that it wouldn't take a charge while my Nikon battery was still going strong. From that experience I've never bought anything other than Nikon batteries since.

To each their own though. Just my personal opinion.

I always stick with OEM batteries.

Thanks, I did some more searching through the forums and I've decided just to stick with oem batteries.

Another question. Is it handy to have more then the original charger as well?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I don't think there is much benefit to a 2nd charger with just 2 batteries - usually you'll have one in the camera while the other is charging.

Pedro_lopez= said:
Another question. Is it handy to have more then the original charger as well?

I believe the ORIGINAL, Nikon-supplied charger helps recondition the battery, as needed. Nikon calls it "Refresh", and on some cameras, the charger also offers "Calibration".

I have an EN-EL14 battery purchased on May 3,2005.It is STILL powering its original D2x camera and has been charged on genuine Nikon Chargers. I shot the camera yesterday and today on the original battery.

Nikon battery technology is fairly sophisticated: the chargers, and cameras, keep track of life cycle, and the charger will do a "refresh" (the old word) or a Calibration, as-needed. And, a Nikon charger will not quick-charge a battery and "cook it", so that it dies in six months.

But I do totally "get" the allure of the $19 and so on MIC batteries...the price is low...and the MIC chargers are very inexpensive also.

I bought a third party battery for my D3300
Shot OVER 1000 pictures on the original OEM battery and there was still juice left so I never got to seriously use my second battery so while I have it for about a year I still didn't use it even once.

Most reactions

Back