D40 Lenses Options

AnthonyCorbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks to you guys at TPF you have taught me that proper lenses make the picture not so much the camera. My question is does anyone have any Nikon D40 lense options for me? Maybe if you have personal experience with any or your just really knowlodgeable with lenses give me your response.
Im looking for something with abuilt in autofocus and some decent zoom.
around 300$ budget.
Thanks in advance:thumbup::lol:

Any of the AF-S lenses will work (meter AND focus). What exactly are you going to be shooting (mainly) so we can narrow this down.

Ha ha. I've already been through three of your threads in one night. Shows how much time I REALLY have on my hands.....

~Michael~

Any of the AF-S lenses will work (meter AND focus). What exactly are you going to be shooting (mainly) so we can narrow this down.

Ha ha. I've already been through three of your threads in one night. Shows how much time I REALLY have on my hands.....

~Michael~

I thought i recongnized your name:lol:
im going to be shooting probaly distant landscapes with it

I saw your photo page and yours are only stationary cars. If this is the main object of your shoots than you do not need long focal length for a start. Unless if you have something else that need a telephoto.

If you intent to sell your shots (a pro) I think you need a fixed lens instead, as zoom lens with equivalent quality would be too expensive for something that you can do it with your feet.

What do you think, make sense?

I saw your photo page and yours are only stationary cars. If this is the main object of your shoots than you do not need long focal length for a start. Unless if you have something else that need a telephoto.

If you intent to sell your shots (a pro) I think you need a fixed lens instead, as zoom lens with equivalent quality would be too expensive for something that you can do it with your feet.

What do you think, make sense?

Well i amin no way a pro i just would like some more range to be available
i like shoot cars but i am thinking of getting into scenery more and 18-55mm isnt doing thejob for me.
What can you suggest for meand here's a noob question but whats the main difference with fixedand zoom which is better? Prosand cons?

A fixed lens using less amount of glass in it's construction, therefore it lets more light to enter through it. Zoom lenses need more glass to accomodate different focal lengths in single tube, therefore it lets reduced light to pass through it. Since the fixed lenses are using less glass therefore naturally they are cheaper.

But this fixed lens can be real pain if you have to keep on changing lens for different situation. Here is when the zoom lens comes in handy. But their pricing can send you broke. Look at that 12-24, 24-70, 70-200 just to name few.

A fixed lens is no good if you keep on moving position fast, but they produced sharper shots with less money.

Happy chosing. :scratch:

I was also going to suggest the 12-24 or some comparative off branded lens that would get the job done. The sad (to me) part is, you will need the AF-S or internal motor to focus automically on the D40 and 60. If the landscape is what you're going to mainly 'focus' on, then I would suggest once of those wide angles. Even a cheap 50mm would be nice, except you won't have auto focus with it.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back