D40 vs Canon Rebel XT

LoKaM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You guys are going to hate me for asking so many goddamn questions but I have to since I'm off to buying my SLR camera today.

I saw this morning in the newspaper a Canon Rebel XT + 18-55mm lens kit for 589.99$..Knowing only the body of a D40 is going to cost 484.99+ the lens, am I better off with a Canon XT?

I read the thread about how a D40 is not very suitable for begginners and this got me doubting about the whole D40 thing haha.

Could also afford :

Sony A100 + 18-70 zoom
Pentax K100D + 18-55 zoom
XTI with 18-55 zoom
Olympus E-410 + 14-42 Zoom

Just my 2 cents (I'm a noob with an XT)- if you can get the XT body without the kit lens (say around $450-500ish) and get a lens separately, that's a good deal. Try to get the best lens you can afford. Looks like you'd get a good deal either way - just go for whichever feels more comfortable in your hand.

Besides if you end up with the D40, there are still loads of fab ppl on here who can give you advice on it.

I did get the D40 with the AF-S 18-55mm lens.

I also got a tripod, tripod carry case, and a bag for my camera stuff.

I'm satisfied :)

Will it cause any problems to insert my old memory card that still might have a photo or two on it?

I forgot to erase them before I returned the other camera -_-

No, it will be fine to insert it (assuming it is an SD card, of course).

You should format the card in the D40 for best results.

Yup, will do.

As we speak I'm getting ready to embark on a whole new journey..Just washed my hands and will unpack the whole thing and then read the instruction booklets :thumbup:

Something alot of newbies tend to forget haha.

Don't worry anyway you will see me ask 10000 questions sooner or later..

Ciao.

battery doesn't come charged!
aahah that is my biggest thing.
but i read the whole booklet while waiting for it to charge.

Hmm..too late I guess lol.
Oh well, enjoy your D40. Nikon definitely knows how to make a quality camera, so it will take nice pictures no doubt.

battery doesn't come charged!
aahah that is my biggest thing.
but i read the whole booklet while waiting for it to charge.

Haha exactly..

I might be over concerned here..But theres a sound in my camera's body like something is moving around,like a little plastic pellet or something, it's nothing OVERLY alarming but it's hard to tell where exactly it is located, I hope it's nothing too serious..Don't want to go back to the store a third time.

Haha exactly..

I might be over concerned here..But theres a sound in my camera's body like something is moving around,like a little plastic pellet or something, it's nothing OVERLY alarming but it's hard to tell where exactly it is located, I hope it's nothing too serious..Don't want to go back to the store a third time.

My XT does the same thing. I didnt think too much of it. It works fine. Probably something to do with the shutter but im not 100% sure.

Too late :)

I took some shots with my D40..It's my baby now.

My XT does the same thing. I didnt think too much of it. It works fine. Probably something to do with the shutter but im not 100% sure.
I am 99% sure that it's some kind of sensor so the camera knows what orientation it's in (landscape vs. portrait). It would have to know which way was up if you have the auto-rotate option turned on. I'm sure it's the same thing on the Nikon.

That might be it..At least I hope so..Haha..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back