What's new

D400/D800 Articulating screen

Would you welcome an articulating lcd on the d400/d800 cameras?

  • Yes

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

    Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Don't Care

    Votes: 9 34.6%

  • Total voters
    26

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
3,867
Reaction score
1,386
Location
Western New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would you welcome the idea of a D400/D800 (or whatever they name them) having an articulating lcd screen? Why or why not?
 
Not a good idea. its will only raise the production cost. and its one more fancy thing that could easily break....this is one of the reason i never considered the d5000/5100.
 
I voted don't care mainly because I don't shoot Nikon, but also I feel that they have advantages and disadvantages. I have found it pretty handy on my gf's a650is, but I am used to using the viewfinder on my 20d. I have never used live view on a dslr, and I don't know that I would if it were an option. Actually I have never owned a p&s camera, I had a couple film slr's then got the 20d so I guess that would explain why I am used to using the viewfinder. Back to the point though, I have used the articulating screen on a point and shoot and have found it handy, but those pictures were mostly just snap shots above people in a crowd or when she likes to takes pictures of us using her left hand. I don't think it would be that great on a dslr, just not necessary and as stated by ghache, just a pricey novelty that would probably break. Also doesn't live view really cut down your battery life? Then again, it may be handy for video if you wanted to do a lot of that.
 
If it comes with excellent video support, the swivel screen will be a big plus for people who want to use it to make videos. I do find occasions where a swivel screen will be helpful for reviewing the photos, for example, when my camera is mounted to the tripod at a particular angle and I need to do multiple shots of the same image. It will be hard to see the LCD screen because of the angle at which the camera is mounted, plus I can't move the camera since I want to do the same shot again, so a swivel screen will be helpful in this case.
 
Nope wouldn't want it. Yes I know it would come in handy for those macro or over the head type shots.
But for me that is occasionally need vs. Always there twisting and articulating and may get wacked or just break.
And just another additional layer of external moving parts/panel waiting to be whacked,bang,twisted to oblivion.
.
 
I also voted 'don't care' as I am a canon shooter, but if you'd ask if I wanted my camera to have one of em articulated screens, I'd say no. As ghache mentioned, just one more thing to break. I can imagine it would be a useful feature for shooting videos, but let's not forget it's a DSLR still camera, and the preferences of photographers should come first.
 
Alright, I'll add my $.02.

I personally HATE the idea of a swivel screen on a semi-pro/pro camera body. It simply presents too many issues with durability. I mean, those cameras are all metal, weather sealed, just built to take abuse. Adding a flimsy articulating screen just seems stupid to me. The only upside I see is that they can be flipped around for safe storage/travel, but really, when is the last time your screen got messed up in your bag?

I would NEVER buy a dslr with an articulating screen, especially one of that caliber.

I tend to think Nikon agrees with this logic, because the D7000 came with a fixed screen. They could have easily added one to better match up with a 60d spec, but they didn't, and I'm glad.
 
Wow, I didn't expect such overwhelming opinion.

For me, swivel screen won't make it easier to break. The only time you can break the swivel screen is when you have the screen out at an angle. If it lies flat/slush against the body, it isn't different from not having it at all. Furthermore, if you are worried about the screen getting damaged, you can flip it so it faces inwards. That's way better than a screen protector.

The only downside I see is, having a separate frame means less space for buttons and smaller LCD screen. As a user, I want simpler control. This may or may not relate to the real estate of the camera body for buttons and knobs.

For me, swivel screen doesn't just makes certain shots easier, it opens me to more interesting techniques and possibilities.
 
It is like IS on a Standard Zoom lens. You do not need the IS most of the time, but it comes in handy once in awhile. Especially for those who use angle finder in the past with film camera or digital that do not have liveview.

I do not mind if my camera has one.
 
I would hate to see those cameras having a swivel screen. I really loathe those screens and I believe theyre more of a pain that theyre worth. They just seem like something that would be extremely easily broken and just a disaster waiting to happen. That's the only reason I would never consider the D5000/5100. I just really don't like them. There's something about them that just screams "consumer grade!" to me, and that's not a bad thing, but it doesnt look anything like something presentable to me and it's just not impressive. It would raise the price of the camera, by whatever degree, and it's just not worth it to me.

Mark
 
don't forget that all of the wiring going to the screen is now routed through a small pivot joint and is flexing every time you move the screen. Even if the screen doesn't break off, I still don't trust the wiring.
 
don't forget that all of the wiring going to the screen is now routed through a small pivot joint and is flexing every time you move the screen. Even if the screen doesn't break off, I still don't trust the wiring.

+1
 
don't forget that all of the wiring going to the screen is now routed through a small pivot joint and is flexing every time you move the screen. Even if the screen doesn't break off, I still don't trust the wiring.

And all those millions and millions of flip phones somehow survived.....


If you guys are saying "swivel screen prohibits me in doing ....." or "it makes it harder to ....", those will be good reasons, but to say you don't want something because you "fear" is the reason why we aren't nearly as far as where we should have been. Trust me, I have to fight this stupid logic every minute working in corporate product development.

If decision makers at Apple think "oh man, that shiny glass will break when dropped!", then we will never have such saturation of multi-touch display in the market today, and you will still be texting with tiny keyboards and surfing the web with toggle sticks.

Furthermore, how many of you who said no to swivel screen has used one before? Just a question. I personally have and I find it useful.
 
Last edited:
That is the problem,

None of my flip phone survived.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom