What's new

D400/D800 Articulating screen

Would you welcome an articulating lcd on the d400/d800 cameras?

  • Yes

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

    Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Don't Care

    Votes: 9 34.6%

  • Total voters
    26
To me it is just a gimmick which appeals to the users of P&S cameras. As long as they stay on the lower entry DSLR's I'm happy.
 
I shot this one with Liveview on my Canon 40D (few inches from the ground). And it will be easier if my camera has a articulating screen.

5105111072_9180b2ed9e.jpg
 
And all those millions and millions of flip phones somehow survived......

A flip phone uses a flat ribbon cable (at least the one's I've seen) that bends back and forth in 1 direction- no twisting

If you guys are saying "swivel screen prohibits me in doing ....." or "it makes it harder to ....", those will be good reasons, but to say you don't want something because you "fear" is the reason why we aren't nearly as far as where we should have been. Trust me, I have to fight this stupid logic every minute working in corporate product development.

If decision makers at Apple think "oh man, that shiny glass will break when dropped!", then we will never have such saturation of multi-touch display in the market today, and you will still be texting with tiny keyboards and surfing the web with toggle sticks.

Furthermore, how many of you who said no to swivel screen has used one before? Just a question. I personally have and I find it useful.

That's why I wouldn't buy a Kia or Hyundai... I fear it will not work in the near future.
 
Good'ol American thinking. Guess what GM, Chrysler and Ford were doing during the last 10 years while the Koreans leap frog them. Guess what Whirlpool and Maytag were thinking when Samsung and LG first entered the US market with their household appliances 10 years ago. Just to let you know, Kenmore used to sell Whirlpool products as their own and have switched to rely more on LG in recent years. You can totally not buy from foreign brands that you don't "trust", but you will find yourself short of choices very quickly.

So are you also saying that swivel screen design of professional video cameras, the ones that war journalists, wildlife film makers and those crazy dudes like Les Stroud and Bear Gryll's camera man use, are not worthy for your amateur photographic use?

You can also tell that to the Israeli commandos who depend their lives on this wimpy unworthy swivel screen.

IsraeliSniperRifle.jpg


And also your US Federal special agents using this flimsy flip phone/portable for their mission critical assignments.

XTS%204000%20g.jpg
 
Last edited:
I voted "don't care". I could take it, or leave it.
 
That's why I wouldn't buy a Kia or Hyundai... I fear it will not work in the near future.
You really think that a plastic american Chevrolet is better than the newest Kias or Hyundais? The Koreans are already past most of the American manufacturers in terms of quality, heading straight for the European/Japanese brands. They really are successful.

As for the articulating screens - seems like it is going to divide the photographing community once again, pretty much the same way the video feature did a couple years back.
 
Are you trying to convince me that canon and nikon's entry level dslr's are of the same build quality as military grade cameras? Also, if you look at that camera, it appears to only flip open and not swivel- hard to tell. As I said one flipping screen we may have mastered, as I use a motorola rugby (mil spec) flip phone and before that had a samsung rugby and never have any worries about the durability. My issue is when they add the swivel ability to things. I am a mechanic at a factory and can pretty accurately predict what is going to be the first thing to break on any new piece of equipment, especially when subjected to an industrial environment. Maybe an occasional user would be just fine with it, I just can't see it standing up to the kind of use that any professional photographer would put it through- especially when some are wearing out shutter mechanisms rated for 200,000 actuations. I hope this never finds it way into the professional bodies.
 
Also, Drake, I don't think this will divide the photography community. This is just a casual discussion and people that don't like it won't buy it and people that do will... as long as it is always an option and not the standard.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom