D50 (plus lenses) or D80 (and stock lens)

ANDS!

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had to sell the D50 I had awhile ago, because a lever broke on the inside, and it would cost more to replace than I bought it for (if you can believe that - I got it for like 200 bucks). So I sold it, but I never got around to getting another camera.

Flash forward today. I have the means to get a new camera. I can either get a D80 (and stock 18-55MM lens - and wait a couple months to get more lenses), or can get a nice used D50 w/ lens, plus a sweet prime lens and maybe a good Ap zoom lens.

Anyone have experience w/ both and feel the 80 is worth the price jump over the 50?

D50 and better glass. The D80 is an incredibly powerful tool, but is not a camera that I would want to use the 18-55 kit on. The 18-55 is a paperweight, don't let people like Ken Rockwell who shoot in compressed JPG formats all the time tell you that it's sharp, nothing is sharp when you shoot in jpeg on a Nikon. Even though the D80 offers really alot more than the D50, I would avoid putting the 18-55 on it. If I could use the D50 with something better like the 18-70, which probably shouldn't even be a kit lens, I most likely would.

I personally think the price difference between the two is completely worth it. I shoot practically every day, and the controls that are available on the outside of the camera make shooting faster and easier. Take the AF mode button on the top of the D80 for example, there's a quick, easy, and accessible button on the top to switch your AF mode form single, continuous, or automatic. I wish my D70 had a button like that or a switch on the side like on the D200 SO BAD! I've missed many a shot becuase I was franticly flipping though the LCD trying to find the AF mode menu instead of just switching it and shooting. I also look at the LCD about as much as I shoot to check my exposure and to see what highlights are being blown out, the 2.5 inch screen really does make that much of a difference, and the fact that the D80 has YRGB histograms instead of the absolutely and completely worthless green channel B&W luminance histogram gives me even more precision when i'm shooting. Other small things like not allowing the shutter to be engaged until the AF has locked in AF-C mode is brilliant. The D50/D70's don't' do that. Shooting moving or unpredictable subjects is really a gamble on my D70. It's impossible to see if anything is in focus on my LCD, and when I upload them to my computer, i'll see I have 50 shots with only 3 in focus. I'd rather be able to take only 10 shots that are in focus, than have 50 shots and only 3 are in focus. This is especially a problem if you're shooting at f/2.8 and wider.

It's the small, you would think minute things that make the difference. I'm planning on upgrading to a D80 eventually and retiring my D70s to an IR only camera. It all depends on what you shoot, how much you shoot, and whether or not you can justify the costs.

I would go with the D50. unless your a pro, it would be better to get the whole kit. And hey, you can always upgrade as you feel the need.

The D80 is a better camera, but then so is the D200 and so is the.....
the point is that you have to find somthing to fit your needs.

But watch out for thoes used D50's. I hear people are selling them with broken levers on the inside....:)

Here's my dilemma. . .I never had a problem with my D50, and felt it handled smoothly for my amatuer tastes. Ive used a D80 once, and that was in Japan while I was slightly buzzed, but I enjoyed the hell out of it and the prime lens guy had on it.

If you don't need the features of the D80, than just get a D50. It's that simple.

I would go with the D50. unless your a pro, it would be better to get the whole kit. And hey, you can always upgrade as you feel the need.

The D80 is a better camera, but then so is the D200 and so is the.....
the point is that you have to find somthing to fit your needs.

But watch out for thoes used D50's. I hear people are selling them with broken levers on the inside....:)
The D80 is not a professional camera it is a high megapixel camera for amatuers. If you can afford the D80 I would buy it.

The D80 is not a professional camera it is a high megapixel camera for amatuers. If you can afford the D80 I would buy it.
Do you mind me asking what the differences between the D80 and a Nikon pro digital are other than fps? Because comparing it to the D200, which I assume is a pro camera, the only differences are the body material, fps, and different metering system. Other than that they are pretty much the exact same camera.

Tougher body material (and construction - and don't forget the weather sealing!) and a more advanced metering system are usually enough to qualify the camera as "professional". Not to mention having more dedicated controls. They're far from being exactly the same. Does that mean the D80 can't be used for professional purposes, or that all professionals need the advantages of a D200? Of course not. But they're not in the same class.

If you don't need the features of the D80, than just get a D50. It's that simple.

Indeed, but buyers remorse is a *****, and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. . .:lol:

I'm thinking of grabbing a D80 for 800 and just getting a 50MM lens from B&H Photo (since in the last moments of my D50, thats the only lens I was using for like. . .weeks), and then saving up for one of these 18-200MM's I've been hearing about. I just did the number crunching in my brain, and I think the D80 is a more viable option (I'll still have enough to get a new T61 next month - :hail:).

Get the D80, absolutely its a better camera than the D50 period!!

the battery life on the D200 sucks too

my friend had a D50 for 6 weeks.... and sold it, why? cos he went shooting with me and prefered my D80, thats what he owns now.

yes investing in glass is a must... but if as you said you can afford to buy some in the near future anyway go for it..

also as said above ask for the 18-70 kit lense with the D80 too.

then again, im biased cos thats what i bought :)

but, for the record.... im very happy with it

Yep, Rockwell kind of panned the 18-70 but I love mine! Now if Nikon would just make that lens an f2.8. LOLOLOL

BTW an extra battery or two for the D200 is peanuts. ;)

mike

I had a reply written out. But the power went out in our building. I pulled the trigger on a D80 body. . .818 shipped, and grabbed a 50MM lens. I'll get an SD card from around here if I dont have one laying around.

THUMBS UP!

Do you mind me asking what the differences between the D80 and a Nikon pro digital are other than fps? Because comparing it to the D200, which I assume is a pro camera, the only differences are the body material, fps, and different metering system. Other than that they are pretty much the exact same camera.

Yep that's what makes a pro body a pro body. I am not really sure though if a D200 is considered a pro model though I think it is more of an advanced amature camera.

Generally speaking, DSLR's are considered " professional " level cameras.

Generally speaking, DSLR's are considered " professional " level cameras.

Only by those who don't use them. I know I'd never try to pass my entry level as a professional camera. I do say "more professional than" or "professional quality photos" but the equipment itself is not professional. The camera still impresses my friends that think a $200 camera is expensive.

Most reactions

Back