D5100 shutter speed / aperture setting problem - PLEASE HELP ASAP

bmkitche

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have been using my Nikon D5100 for about 5 years in manual with no issue. Today it seems to be malfunctioning. When I try to change the shutter speed or aperture using the dial, nothing happens (this occurs in manual, as well as all of the priority modes if that gives any more information). Every once in a while, the shutter speed or f stop will flicker for a split second as if they want to change, but always revert back to the original. Yesterday I had the same issue, and it was resolved by switching lenses, and then switching back, but today nothing works. This occurs both with my AF S Nikkor 35mm 1-1.8G, as well as the AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1 4.5-5.6GED. If I put the camera in Auto, the camera has no problems adjusting the shutter speed or aperture automatically. Similarly, in priority modes, the non-priority setting can be adjusted automatically by the camera.

I have attached a video below that demonstrates the symptoms.

We are in Italy on vacation and really can't afford to be without our camera until we get back to the States to take it to a shop. Please advise how we might be able to solve the problem ourselves. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Is it defiantly the the actual camera mechanisms or might it just be a issue with a with the screen read out. Is the light meter in the viewfinder registering the changes. Does turning it off and back on do anything. Are the points of the camera or lens dirty. Can you change the settings whilst there is no lens attached. I really don't know what the problem is but there the things I would check.

Not sure how it's done on d5100, but I'd try full reset. Maybe taking batteries out for few minutes and back in then might work also

The Menu and i button are marked with a green dot.
Hold both buttons down for more than 2 seconds to reset the limited list of items shown on page 58 of the D5100 Reference Manual.
Hopefully you have the Reference Manual with you.

I suspect the Command wheel is malfunctioning and the camera will have to be repaired and there is nothing you can do to correct the issue.

Thanks all. I have tried all of the proposed fixes with no luck. I'm beginning to believe that Keith may be right - there will have to be a repair. Any suggestions on shops where we might find a reasonably priced new body in Italy between Todi Umbria and Rome (Amazon, etc. will not ship to Italy)? It is worth it to be able to capture the rest of our trip, but I'd rather not overpay...

Many that do photography take a 2nd, backup camera when they travel, even if that back up camera is just a cell phone camera.

We do have a GoPro with us that is saving us... but not the same as our DSLR :/

Thanks again for the advice.

I would shoot in Auto for now. Looks like the command wheel is the problem watching the video.

Best thing probably try all the various shooting modes and if they work OK then go with that. Fixing the camera will probably cost a bundle over there even if you could get it done.

Most reactions

Back