D5100 took a header ...

I've helped friends with the d5x00 series cameras. Though the swivel screen is nice the added features of the d7x00 series is great if you change settings a lot and need that faster control.

Several years ago I nearly bought a new d5100 but opted for the d7000 due to better weather sealing, and all the other features. I'm glad I did as it was able to do sports fantastically compared to issues when I've tried the d5x00 series. I now have a d600 and that is close to the specs of a d7000 but with a 24mp FullFrame sensor. I love it even more.

For the money a refurb'd / used d7000 is a great deal. I sold mine with the kit 18-105 lens, and the OEM grip for $550ish several months ago. So you can get great deals out there. I found the investment into a book of how to Master the D7000 was the best investment though, as it taught me everything about the camera and how to use it (especially how to understand the user manual).

I myself went with a D7000 but that's because I recently got mine for a really good bargain. A friend of mine was selling it and offered me a price I couldn't pass. Needless to say, with all the firmware updates installed, I'm very pleased with this camera :)

Tammy, sorry about your camera. I think if you go with the D7000 (assuming you can find one for a really good price) you will find some good things about it :)

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Thanks.. Im a little shell shocked.. but I guess this happens usually more than once.. Just it was my first Nikon.

I can't weigh in on the Nikon model choice as I really don't know their line any more - however I have to say that the small image in the first post, with the blown out background area, almost looks like you've got white smoke pouring out of your camera! A clear sign of something being wrong indeed

it's a camera. they are all the same.

Can I trade you the disposable film camera I've got here for your D610 then? ;)

I do not know about others, but to me the major overriding difference between 5xxx and 7xxx is the size and weight. I prefer a smaller camera, it is better for the way I shoot. Some prefer more substantial bodies. I think it is always worth trying both cameras in the shop and decide which one feels more comfortable. In most other respects all cameras are indeed if not the same but pretty similar to me.

I can't weigh in on the Nikon model choice as I really don't know their line any more - however I have to say that the small image in the first post, with the blown out background area, almost looks like you've got white smoke pouring out of your camera! A clear sign of something being wrong indeed

it's a camera. they are all the same.

Can I trade you the disposable film camera I've got here for your D610 then? ;)
actually A d5100 the metal tape is what that is. And I took that photo with my phone ...still using my camera. But only in a very controlled setting.

I'm in bad shape today. . Now I took a header yesterday..joy oh joy I get to visit a plastic surgeon Monday. I wouldn't bother but I'm having double vision. The irony is not lost on me. Yes my picture is dark. On purpose. .don't want to scare children right now.

Attachments

• 20160101_170407.jpg
    20160101_170407.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 262
Buy an F5 and a 500ML bottle of Rodinal. :D

I read that and though, Oh my, it's Gary being Gary again...But then I noticed it said "F5" and not "M3", and I knew instantly it was not Gary, but some other equally deranged filmie...wink, wink!

Sorry to hear about your incidents, multiple, Tammy. Hope you're all better soon.

Oye face planting sucks.. I look and feel pathetic..lol. i know, want some cheese and crackers with that wine???
20160103_124723.jpg

I own a D7000. I had a chance to shoot with a D5500 just yesterday evening. I prefer the D7000 hands down. It has a focusing motor so I can get AF with my D lenses. It has double control wheels for faster operation. There are all kinds of other features but those two are the most important to me. The images I took yesterday aren't any better to my eye than my D7000 despite the newer sensor on the 5500. If you aren't afraid of gray market there are still some of the brand new 7000's on Ebay for less than $500. That is a great deal.

So now I have a crack around the hotshoe, and my flash doesn't work anymore.and I can't attach a speed light to it... I can take limited pictures bright light long exposure . So now my question is.. D5200 , or D7000 ..I'm really tempted for the D7000 just for the superior housing. Even though I know the technology is 5 years old. So.. opinions thoughts. I think the old D5100 isn't repairable.

Of the two, I'd probably look at getting the D7000 - I'd also price a used or refurbished D7100. Since the D7200's came out they've dropped in price quite a bit.

The addition of the 2nd command wheel is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. I went from a D5200 to a D7100 and after just one day of shooting the D7100 I realized I'd never go back.

But the other big advantage is the built in focus motor, especially since your a hobbyist without a huge budget. You can get some really amazing lenses that don't have a focus motor built into the lens dirt cheap because they only work with bodies like that have the focus motor built into the camera.

I picked up a 17-50 Tamron 2.8 for just a little over $100 off of ebay. Fantastic lens, sharp, great color rendition, etc. A huge improvement over the kit lens, and for a lens I paid next to nothing for it.

If you find you really miss the flip screen you can also get an external LCD screen that will mount in the hot shoe, honestly I found pretty quickly that I didn't miss the flip screen nearly as much as I thought I would.

Don't get me wrong, the D5200 is a great camera, I shot one for quite a while and I'm sure you'd be happy with it if you decided to go that route. But given the choice between the two I'd go with a D7000, or a D7100 if I could afford it.

kinda an old thread ...

Most reactions

Back