D5100 - use with wireless transmitter and external flash

jeffack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to use an external flash with a wireless transmitter. The transmitter goes into the hotshoe fine. The issue is that the on-board flash tries to pop up and can't, because the transmitter is in its way. However, this keeps the flash from firing; the flash light (lightening bolt) is greyed out. I've confirmed that this is because the flash can't popped - Without the transmitter attached, the flash pops up and the lightening bolt isn't greyed out. When I gradually push down the flash, when I get about halfway down, the lightening bolt becomes greyed out and the flash refuses to fire.

So, I need some way to force the transmitter to send the "flash" signal, even when the onboard flash can't pop all the way up.

Adding camera model and mode used will aid in diagnosing this problem but it sounds like you are in an auto mode and a single pin external flash trigger.
This combo will have two problems. The camera doesn't know that you have a trigger attached due to the single pin. Auto modes will pop up the onboard flash.

Thanks for the help. I have a D5100 and was in manual (M) mode. I get the same issue in Auto mode.

I seem to have solved the problem. I wasn't aware of the difference in the number of pins, and I started looking closer at the bottom of the flash. I think I didn't do a good job of lining the pins up between the hot shoe and the transmitter. I have a better fit now and it seems to be working.

Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back