D60 and D40

Fred Kim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So basically I'm getting a new camera soon, and my choices are the d60 and the d40.

Basically I want to know what the major differences are. I mean I can read what the differences are, but some things i dont fully understand.

Specify and explain differences, please?

I mean, i know that the d60 is a "better" camera, but i want to know what exactly is different and how it affects everything.

Thanks!

I suppose the biggest differences that I know of are the megapixel count, 10 Mp for the D60 and 6 Mp for the D40, and the other difference is that the D60 has a dust removal system...

There are other differences that are small if I'm not mistaken, perhaps someone else knows more, but those are the 2 biggest differences that I know of

If I were to choose between those two, I would choose the D40.

Yes, it has less megpaixels, but it also has a much higher flash sync speed, and with less megapixels it has larger photoreceptors on the chips (to help with high ISO performance).

Active D lighting on the D60 is nice, but if you shoot RAW the features of this are lost unless you use Capture NX to do your RAW conversions.

D60 has the sensor shake and air channeling to keep the sensor dust free. It's not worth the extra cost to me, especially with the D40 having the higher flash sync speed. And, it has the same AF-S and AF-I lens limitations as the D40 and D40x. I'm getting the D40. It's a great beginner DSLR.

I also would recommend the D40 over either the D40x or D60. It has a more sensitive sensor with less noise and the faster flash sync speed, which is useful for using flash in daylight. Both will help you get better photos. Also it's a lot cheaper! :) You can put that extra money towards a new lens.

D60 comes with a 18-55 VR (vibration reduction) and also with a lower ISO minimum of 100. The D40's lowest ISO is 200. Appart from that and the dust removal and the 10 Mp there are no other differences. My advice would be to get a D80 if you can, since you will find more lenses that will autofocus. If money is an issue, get the D40.

I guess it kinda depends on what you are going to do with it. I bought the D60.

-If you take a lot of pictures using flash you may want to go with the D40. However, the flash sync speeds on the D60 are more than adequate and not an issue for me at all. You should also be aware (as i recently found out), that you will not like the results of flash photo's from the onboard flash. Too much reflection and light augmentation. You don't know it yet, but you will most likely end up buying the SB400 and bounce the flash off the ceiling instead of people's faces.

-You may also notice that you don't have enough range with the stock 18 - 55 lens. You will then need to crop some images to get in closer. This is where the 10 megapix comes in handy on the D60. You can crop and preserve image quality, whereas you are more limited at 6 meg pix. In addition, the D60 has a VR lens.... this is a better lens...

-You may then take your camera out for a walk and really notice that 55mm is not enough. You will then most likely walk over to your camera store and buy the 55 - 200 vr so budget for this..... even 200mm really isn't enough if you want a tight zoom on a bird high up in a tree.... but if you get the D60 there is room for cropping

-You will then notice that you are changing between the two lenses quite a bit... you may find 18 - 55 handy indoors and the 55 - 200 handy outdoors.. this is where the dust reduction system may be more of an advantage on the D60....

-After you missed a few good shots because of wasting time fitting the right lens and filters, you may then inquire as to a more multipurpose lens and stumble upon the Nikkor 18 - 200mm VRII lens. This solves most of your dust problems (because you will mostly use that lens), and your missed shots problems (due to lens changing), and the focus ring is bigger + override the autofocus with the ring.

-You will then need to find someone to buy your 18 - 55 and 55 - 200 lenses.

If your anything like me.... and you want to save money and hassle...

Buy the body only of the D40 or D60
Buy the SB-400 Flash
Buy the 18-200VR lens

and make a deal with your retailer for buying all this at once.

This may seem expensive at first... this is what you will most likely do anyways and buying the other lenses will just cost you more.

Good Luck from one Noob to another!!..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back