D60 or D80

Knapton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok Im new here and I no there is many threads on this but I actually have specific questions. I was looking at getting a D60 but since it only has 3 focus points,I was told it would be bad for mountain biking(using it mostly for mountain biking so it would be action shots). Also how many Nikon lenses does the D60 limit you to by not having an auto focus motor. And if I do go for a D80 where is a good place to look for used ones or cheap ones cause I cant afford $1000 canadian for a body and lense. Thanks

D80.

Three focus points drives me NUTS!

To me, that is the single worst feature of the D40/D40x/D60 lineup after the fact that you need AF-S lenses (unless you go third party) to autofocus with one.

Save up the extra money for the D80, it will be much better for what you are doing.

Arg. I figured that whats you would say. I was kinda set on a D60 then someone told about the focus points. D60 was just in my budget and my parents were already leary about a 700$ camera now it would be $1000. Is only 3 focus points that bad?

I just bought a used D80 for $600 USD from ebay. Its a great camera. I am able to use my 8 year old Tamron 28-200 lens with it. It works great.

Is only 3 focus points that bad?

Yes, it is that bad (for shooting action).

Honestly, I personally would buy a D40 over a D60 anyway, if you are going to go inexpensive, then REALLY go inexpensive... the D40 will take every bit as good of pictures as the D60 for a LOT less money. To me, the only advantage that makes the D60 kit worth more money is the VR kit lens.

Do you guys think he might be better off getting something like a D70, given his budget?

Do you guys think he might be better off getting something like a D70, given his budget?

D70 might be a real option as well. It comes used for around half the price of a used D80 (~USD350), can use older lenses, and has 5 AF points. It can also trigger a Nikon CLS flash tirelessly. Leaves you with more money to spend on better lenses.
Between the D60 and the D80, I would also go for the D80 since the price difference is really not so big between the two when buying used, and the D80 has some nice advantages as other posters already mentioned. I also like the feeling of the D80 much more, but I'm quite big and not really fond of (too) small cameras. If you go for the D60, you might just as well go for a used D40 like sabbath999 said - leaves you with more money for better lenses (or accessories).

Last edited:

I would buy a D70S (yes, an S... not just a 70) over a D60 any day if the week, without hesitation.

Taken from this thread I posted a while back... (god I'm quoting myself and giving myself credit for it... how vain can I possibly be?!) (In short, if you have the cash go D80)
In general, the sub-camera bodies are a very different breed from the main bodies (D200/D300). The cameras are significantly lighter, less rugged, and intended as more of a transitional camera. (from point and shoot to more "serious")

They have a variety of features to make automatic shooting of certain situations easier (such as "landscape" and "portrait" automatic modes), and generally are geared towards someone trying to learn the ins and outs of working with a different type of camera than a typical point and shoot. Some of them even come with nice DVDs to explain the ins and outs of photography.

They are also designed to be cheaper (to make them more attractive to a point and shoot owner, as well as make them more accessible to everyone to hook them into this evil habit/hobby), so they cut quite a few corners. As I mentioned they are less rugged, but they also do things like give you a smaller screen, no autofocus motor (limiting lens choices a bit... except for the D80, which does have this), fewer dials and controls (making it a bit more challenging to work the device when you go into more manual modes), lesser high-iso capabilities, less speed, less software capabilities, etc. For an example, see my thread here on my review of the D60 from some hands-on experience.

That being said, there isn't really anything wrong with the cameras. You can get just as beautiful shots... it just may take a bit more work and you may find that someone with a "more serious" cam might be able to outdo you here and there. Honestly, very rarely, but they do have a better tool, so they're going to be a bit less limited. You have to keep this in perspective, though... I think my D100 is an amazing camera, and in almost every way, all of these newer lesser cameras kick the snot out of my D100... the only real advantage my poor D100 has is that it is more rugged and can take the vertical grip. (I don't believe most of these cameras can... not sure.)

Now, that being said... the D80 is really exceptional in my opinion. I recommend it to people all the time. It's really just a smallish step down from the D200. It's still clearly less of a serious camera than the D200, but the differences are no where near as significant as they are on any other camera in the sub-body line. It has a bit more capability, doesn't treat you like you're clueless, but still has the capabilities and features to help ease the transition if you need or want them.

In summary on the sub-bodies... The D80 is a great camera. The other ones, in my opinion, are all kind of frustrating. They're fine... but frustrating. I would almost sooner buy a used D70S than a D40, and possibly even a D60. The D60 really annoyed me. Unless you are scrounging for cash to make this happen, if you decide to go with a sub-body, get a D80.

I'm in complete agreement with Manaheim ... well, almost. I certainly concur on the D80 (I own one) being superior in every way to a D40 or 60. And, yes, a used 70S would surely be a better choice. Or an old D100 (I have one of those too).

But ...

From what you've described, and given your budget, I would seriously consider buying a high-end "super point&shoot" rather than any of the bottom of the line dSLRs like the D40/60 or Rebel (whatever version).

I always get in trouble with the "DSLR at any cost" crowd when I say this. But the truth is you're going Mountain Biking, for Pete's Sake! And NONE of the low-end DSLRs is designed to withstand the rigors of that environment. They're lightweight, mostly plastic, poorly sealed against dirt and moisture, and just, well, delicate!

And the other thing (They hate it when I say this too!) - Lens Quality! I can't vouch for the quality of the glass in the others, but my Canon S3is (and it's newer sibling the S5is) have lenses made of the same quality glass as that found in Canon's professional "L" series lenses. (This may also be true for others such as the Nikon P80. I don't know.)

And my S3 is a solid body, built on a magnesium frame, well sealed and sturdy.

If I were going mountain biking, I wouldn't hesitate to take my S3is as my ONLY camera.

And you can pick up a brand new S5is + an external flash for a lot less than you would spend for any of the DSLRs with a kit lens.

Most reactions

Back