D60 problems :(

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes!

I just got my D60 today, and played around with it until the battery died. It's charging right now. But what I noticed is that when I shoot the same subjects under the same lighting and ISO as my Canon EOS 630 Film SLR, the Canon can shoot at much faster frame rates than the Nikon D60.

The nikon keeps on saying that the subject is too dark, even in a well lit room. In my kitchen (the brightest place in my house, and it's pretty damn bright) my shutter speed is like... 3 seconds... unless i'm pointing it near the lights.. then it's like 1/125 or something.

another thing, when it says the shutter speed is 3 seconds... i count and it's like.. 8 seconds.

Sorry, i JUST made the jump to digital SLR photography so i'm really new to my camera. :S does anyone know what's wrong?

The first question to ask, I think, would be what lenses do you have on each camera?

D60 has the kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens

Canon EOS 630 has... i'm not sure if this is what it's called but it says "Canon Zoom Lens EF 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5" it's my dads old camera and lens.

another thing should be noted. All settings on the D60 are like.. factory for now, except ISO. my main goal was to kill the battery so i could charge it and play with it indepth while i study the manual :p

just wondering if there's anything wrong with my camera, 'cause if so I should probably get it fixed ASAP

What mode are you shooting in? Aperture priority? Shutter priority? Full auto? If either of the first, what was your shutter speed or aperture set at?

Are you using the flash?

What's the ISO set at?

If the camera's meter says the image will be underexposed, then it's going to be underexposed and the shutter is going to compensate with a long speed to get the proper exposure.

The kit lens isn't very fast, and far from ideal for indoor lighting if you're not using a flash.

Aperture priority: f/5.6 on the D60 but f/4.5 on the Canon EOS 630. same subject same room but the D60's shutter speed is 1/6 where as the canon's is 1/15 :S

ISO: 200 for both

:S so it might just be a lens thing?

Yeah, I have found out that the kit lens for the D60 isn't the best one for indoor shots. I recently got a 35mm f/1.8 lens for my D60 and it works very well indoors. I was able to take this shot of my niece in the kitchen with the windows open:

DSC_0003-3.jpg

f/1.8 at 1/20 second and ISO 100. I always shoot in manual mode at ISO 100.

Aperture priority: f/5.6 on the D60 but f/4.5 on the Canon EOS 630. same subject same room but the D60's shutter speed is 1/6 where as the canon's is 1/15 :S

ISO: 200 for both

:S so it might just be a lens thing?

The shutter speed on the D60 is longer because you have the aperture stopped down further than you do on the Canon. Nothing wrong with the camera;)

:p thanks guys. i got worried i messed with the settings or broke something in the camera. :p silly me.

Most reactions

Back