D600 or D800?

I just want to add that you need to pick up the D600 in your hand to know how it feels. I was at a Photography Show this past weekend and picked up the D600 and D7100, they feel really weird and not stable in the hand. I prefer the way they made the grip for the D800 and even the D300s much better.

You'd think that the grip is something to get used to but trust me, after a while it will bug the heck out of you. Two weeks ago I shot an event with a Panasonic GH3 with a grip (mounted grip not the body grip) and the AE-L button on the grip is placed in a weird place, my thumb cramped.

The D7100 is definitely an improvement on the D7000 but how significant the improvements are to you will depend on what you photograph and probably more importantly what you use the photographs for.

So I've run into a great deal on a D700.. for $1000. Worth it? I figure I can always re sell it for more should I decide I want a D600.

I am the same boat as you and looking at D700/D3 and D800 bodies. I had looked at the D600 but I'm a biker and I think the better weather sealing and build of the 'pro' bodies would be an advantage if and when it rains. And it will rain, a lot!!

As has been said it comes down to the fact weather you feel you need the extra resolution of the newer bodies. If you do go for a 12mp machine and find its not up to what you want just sell it and move up the food chain.
We all have seen the great files the 800 throws out, detailed to the extreme and the ability to crop the life out of your images while still producing a usable image, it is a force to be reckoned with that's for sure.

I'm still not sure what way to go myself, for the price of a D800 you could have a D700/D3 and a lump of change towards a 24-70 2.8 and that's what I'm swayed to at the minute. I still have more saving to do so prices could come down even more by the time I am ready to buy.

What is the shutter count on the D700 you found?

All the specs for both D600 and D800 are available, there is lots of all possible information about both cameras on the net, you can hardly find anything new. So if with all this info you are asking other photographers which camera would suit you better, probably, maybe you need to hold your fire and wait until you know exactly what you need ? Just my 2 p.

So I've run into a great deal on a D700.. for $1000. Worth it? I figure I can always re sell it for more should I decide I want a D600.

That's a good price if its in good condition.

Hey. Im a d600 owner for 2 weeks and from the very first moment i got it i can't get my hands off it, this camera is addicting like no other way. A friend if mine got the d800 and you can tell the difference a slight bigger body redicules high MP the bottons organization is different its like a semi pro FF body that similar to the single letter series and the d600 is like a semi pro FF body that similar to the three letter series.
As i was saying the d600 is not the d800 but isn't dropong very far behind ( and maybe in low light performance slightly better ) the d600 is an AMAZING camera!!
If you can afford the d800 go get it, but if you want to save a thousand bucks get the d600 and you wont be less happy.

Hope i gave you points to think about have a wonderful day!!
:)

I ended up with the D700. Oh my god the low light performance. Oh my god the detail retention. Brb 10 minutes.
lubriderm-lotion-new_300.jpg

Haha.. Have fun.

Welcome to the FX club. now you need to get kickass lenses

Hey. Im a d600 owner for 2 weeks and from the very first moment i got it i can't get my hands off it,
Well, it took me full 2 months before I went "meh, I have good light today, I dont need the low light performance and maximum resolution of the D600, I'd rather have the lower weight and the flipscreen" and instead took my D5100 with me.

Haha.. Have fun.

Welcome to the FX club. now you need to get kickass lenses

I have a 70-200 VRII and a 24-70, I'm off to a good start :sexywink:

I ended up with the D700. Oh my god the low light performance. Oh my god the detail retention. Brb 10 minutes.

From the movie, Shouting of the Hams: "It rubs the lotion on Its camera...It rubs the lotion on Its camera...It rubs the lotion on Its camera..."

OMG, you are too funny Tevo!

Picked up a like new in box MBD10 (with trays!) with the EnEl4a battery, battery cover, and mh21 charger for $250. :sexywink:

I know I am in the Nikon forum but this how I felt after experienced the 6D in low light...

:drool::heart::lovey:

PS...Congrats!

Most reactions

Back