D70 shutter speed issues

tbrunke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I am in manual in low light or medium light situations my shutter speed is really slow no matter what. my fstop is 4.5 wont go any lower.
and answers on why the shutter speed is so slow!?!

sorry for the n00b question, but I need to learn these things...

Because your ISO is also low like in the 100-200 area. Turning up the ISO will increase the sensor's sensitivity to light.

If the maximum aperture on your lens is f/4.5, that's why you can't choose a larger aperture. That is also quite a small aperture for shooting in low light indoors, hence why your shutter speed needs to be long.

A lot of people that specialize in shooting in indoor low light environments have fast primes (50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 135 f/2, etc) or f/2.8 zooms (24-70mm, 70-200mm). These lenses allow more light to hit the sensor due to the larger opening in the aperture diaphragm.

Thanks! Thank pretty much sums it up for me. Thanks for the quick answer. I will keep playing with the ISO and other settings and keep shooting until it gets right, practice makes perfect!

But may take forever. Understanding how your camera works is a much quicker way.

The D70 is an older model, you can shoot it at 1600 iso, but expect fairly noisy results. If low-light photography is important, I suggest a faster lens like a 50mm f1.8 af-d. Cost only around $90 used, and is about three stops faster then your f4.5 lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back