D70? What len's to get?

rhphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just pick up my dad's Nikon D70 and all I have right now is the 18-70MM lens and I want something that is sharp and in the price range of about $600-$1000 right now. If you have links that would be great. Oh and this is my first time posting to the forum.

-RYAN

Welcome to the forum.

The 18-70mm lens can be sharp. Can you offer us any more insight as to what you are looking for?

I just pick up my dad's Nikon D70 and all I have right now is the 18-70MM lens and I want something that is sharp and in the price range of about $600-$1000 right now. If you have links that would be great. Oh and this is my first time posting to the forum.

-RYAN

Let me get this straight. You don't have any photographic goals. Your main interest is in spending $600-$1000. Do I understand you correctly?

Let me get this straight. You don't have any photographic goals. Your main interest is in spending $600-$1000. Do I understand you correctly?

With all due respect, with that kind of response it might be his last.

While I completely agree that we need to have a better idea of the types of pictures he or she is trying to take... well... let's just leave it at that.

What kind of pictures are you trying to take rhphoto? People, landscapes, cars, boats, sports, all of the above, none of the above?

With that info, we could give you a better answer.

Lately I have been doing a lot of automotive photo's. There are a lot of people around that have cars and are into getting pictures done. I have been doing modeling pictures as well. I just don't think everything is clear. I mean I am new to photography but I just see others and want to be like that. Let me know what you think...I have some landscaping stuff but don't have them in front of me...

Here is a modeling picture I did. I just don't think it is very sharp....
23416246591f4039247cogw8.jpg

Here is acouple automotive pictures I have done....
billcrxrt7.jpg

evosjh6.jpg

toddrollingdk2.jpg

For automotive a lot of people i know use wide angle. I know a guy who uses the Sigma 10-20 and bought an automotive rig and he makes very good money for what he does.

For portraits, seeing as how it looks like you are trying to go "pro" or take the nice studio type shots i would look into a lighting kit. That would probably assist you for studio shots more than a different lens would. Lighting setup plus 50mm 1.8 and you would be pretty set for that.

Thanks...I know I need to get an umbrella, stand, remote trigger for the speedlite. I just think it would help with some sort of half decent lens. I'm just not sure what to look for. All is appreciated...

I heard the 50mm f/1.8 was very sharp, even though it may not appear that way if your looking at the tremendously cheap price tag.

I guess primes would be a good thing for you to look at if you want sharpness, another lens that looks pretty appealing is the 35mm f/2 (read three reviews here edit: oops thats the af-d lens, I suppose its older?).

Most reactions

Back