D700 and D800 Resolution and Quality Comparison

Hmm, I see no delay at all in processing large Tiff files in either in CS or LR, or both simultaniously. Yes, data transfer to an external drive time will increase just by the amount of data, sure. Then again, both my laptop and PC are quad-core with 8g ram with decent (not best) graphics cards.

Hard drives may seem cheap for some people, but still 36mp it's way too much for travel photography when you don't want to carry so much storage. Specially taking many photos in raw format...

Although the D800 “could” be a great travel photography camera, it’s going to require some re-thinking.

I'm going to Europe shortly after getting the D800 and I'm debating whether to bring it or my D700. I normally take multiple 32GB flash-drives for backup, but that won't do it anymore. And the 160GB SSD drive in my laptop isn't big enough. And the USB 2.0 on my laptop will require many hours of downloading – and more hours to backup to flash drives – and many more flash drives!

bert

Last edited:
I agree Trever, and if processing/hard drive capacity becomes a problem, time to rethink upgrading one's system into 2012
bigthumb.gif

A computer system that can handle 36mp raw files won't cost as much as one pro grade lens. 1tb drive is under 100 bucks these days. For sure, if your system isn't up to the task and your present equipment is getting the job done then "it ain't broke etc," I see no reason to change bodies.

Hard drives may seem cheap for some people, but still 36mp it's way too much for travel photography when you don't want to carry so much storage. Specially taking many photos in raw format...

Although the D800 “could” be a great travel photography camera, it’s going to require some re-thinking.

I'm going to Europe shortly after getting the D800 and I'm debating whether to bring it or my D700. I normally take multiple 32GB flash-drives for backup, but that won't do it anymore. And the 160GB SSD drive in my laptop isn't big enough. And the USB 2.0 on my laptop will require many hours of downloading – and more hours to backup to flash drives – and many more flash drives!

bert

If I had both in hand and leaving tomorrow I'd bring the D700 mainly because it's a body I'm familiar with and file storage while traveling would be (yes, while traveling) an issue. I usually carry a 500gb portable drive that needs no external power (runs off usb).

Not only that but why are you transferring data from camera to laptop using USB and not a card reader? USB 2 is way too slow.

If I had both in hand and leaving tomorrow I'd bring the D700 mainly because it's a body I'm familiar with and file storage while traveling would be (yes, while traveling) an issue. I usually carry a 500gb portable drive that needs no external power (runs off usb).

Not only that but why are you transferring data from camera to laptop using USB and not a card reader? USB 2 is way too slow.

Unfortunately, it's going to be tough NOT to bring the D800 - mainly due to emotional issues :) - it's new, and I'll be anxious to try out the high resolution.

I have several large external USB harddrives - they are small, and it wouldn't be a problem to bring one or two. It may be what I end up doing.

I don't transfer from the camera - I transfer from a card-reader, but it's still USB. And unless I get a new laptop with USB 3.0, it's still USB 2.0.

I suspect I will bring the D800 with me - but it will require some re-thinking about storage and backup.

gerardo2068 said:
I have a minimum of 3 back ups of my entire library, if I upgrade hard drive because running out of space then I have to upgrade all 3 like I've done in the past. I also don't just collect photos. I have movies and a lot of music too. Everything takes up a lot of space.

Sorry this is a bit of a tangent, but Gerardo, I'm a back up nut like yourself ... Got bitten by a nasty HD failure once and now my motto is: "if it's not backed up twice, it's not backed up!"

Anyhow, I invested in a Drobo. I would recommend checking the system out... Especially if you fill hard drives frequently. It does redundant backup in a really interesting way (ie. with proprietary algorithms) that allow me to upgrade a single hard drive bay as needed for more space. You pop out the smallest drive, put in a bigger one and it'll take care of distributing the data in such a way that even if you had a failure you'd be safe and sound.

For me it saved a lot of cash over the long run as I fill up drives quickly working in dual disciplines (music/photo). I only buy what I need at the time and I buy OEM drives. Waaaaay cheaper than buying a crapload of extra GB that I won't need for the next 6 months and upgrading all my drives to match.

Just my two cents :)

Lem

lemonart said:
Sorry this is a bit of a tangent, but Gerardo, I'm a back up nut like yourself ... Got bitten by a nasty HD failure once and now my motto is: "if it's not backed up twice, it's not backed up!"

Anyhow, I invested in a Drobo. I would recommend checking the system out... Especially if you fill hard drives frequently. It does redundant backup in a really interesting way (ie. with proprietary algorithms) that allow me to upgrade a single hard drive bay as needed for more space. You pop out the smallest drive, put in a bigger one and it'll take care of distributing the data in such a way that even if you had a failure you'd be safe and sound.

For me it saved a lot of cash over the long run as I fill up drives quickly working in dual disciplines (music/photo). I only buy what I need at the time and I buy OEM drives. Waaaaay cheaper than buying a crapload of extra GB that I won't need for the next 6 months and upgrading all my drives to match.

Just my two cents :)

Lem

Thank I will check that out

Lem

I also have a Drobo FS - had it for 1.5 years now and love it. I have 5 - 2TB drives it it, with redundency. Effective storage is 5TB and two of the drives can fail (theoretically) and I won't lose anything.

who's to say it isn't? Seriously how often are we shooting at ISO 1600+? And if need be you have a D700 WIN WIN

Indeed if I was buying my 1st full frame of course I'd be buying the new D800! I had planned on buying the D800 in addition, but I'm going to sit on the sidelines a while on that note =)

Why don't you sell the D700 and buy a D4 with the cash from that and the money you were gonna put into a D800? I understand you'd still be like a grand short, but I'd find a way to make it happen if I was you.

Even just upgrading to a D3s would be huge.

After the loss on the D700 it would be a 4K difference. But the big reason is I shoot mostly studio and outdoors in controlled lighting and the D700 isn't giving me a compelling reason to upgrade to anything that costs money. I'm really happy with it. If the D800 did so much more a lot better, or the D4 wasn't so expensive, I'd upgrade just to be upgrading but i'm happy where I'm at with the D700 =) Better things to invest in right now than new bodies until the D700 really lacks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back