D700 to OM-D

AlexanderB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys, I'm using D700 + Nikkor primes (landscape and architecture). What I don't like is weight of the camera and I am considering a smaller camera. M43 looks very tempting but how does it compares IQ wise? Internet praises OM-D IQ (like photographer Ming Thein says on basic ISO OM-D wins) but is it as good as described?

Many cameras these days are quite, quite good at their Base ISO value.Even the old 2005 Nikon D2x, a 12 MP d-slr, is still very,very good at Base ISO...but as the ISO goes up, its image quality drops off considerably. On many cameras, when their ISO setting is increased to say, twice-doubling the base ISO, color depth and dynamic range can often take a very noticeable hit. One might easily lose two full stops of useable scene dynamic range at say base ISO doubled twice (for example 100 Base, 200, 400 ISO being "twice doubled") small-sensor camera.

Again...the issue with smaller sensors is often performance at elevated ISO values. At Base ISO, most cameras these days are pretty good.

D700 is pretty old camera though. Aren't newer small sensors caught up already to its level?

D700 is pretty old camera though. Aren't newer small sensors caught up already to its level?

It does "okay" I would say. Its performance score at High ISO AND/or in low light looks very poor though...DxOMark - Olympus OM-D E-M5

It would appear from such a weak Low Light/ISO score of 863, that it would be a poor choice if one needed to do a lot of shooting in bad light or at elevated ISO levels. The D700's score is almost three times higher when used for low light/high ISO stuff.

$OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 VS NIKON D700.jpg

Seems like I need to wait a next generation OM-D and it will be OK. Fun times ahead!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Alexander - If you don't mind giving up interchangeable lenses, the Sony RX1 full frame pocket camera beats the D700 on DxOMark at all ISOs - for whatever that's worth.

Steve Huff called it the best camera of the year in 2012.

It is significantly smaller and lighter than a full frame FX DSLR, and its images will water your eyes, but it has a fixed lens and costs $2800.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

A single lens wont cut it for me, but Sony will release interchangeable E-mount version this fall. Only it's out of my budget really.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
D600 will not be an ultimate weight solution though. Suppose I'll stick with D700 for another half a year.

I have the d700 and the OMD and frankly i rarely use the 700 anymore. High action sports is the only time I have had to go back to the 700.

I am very picky about my work and it has not suffered from the switch, won't have bought it if that had been the case.

I have the d700 and the OMD and frankly i rarely use the 700 anymore. High action sports is the only time I have had to go back to the 700.

I am very picky about my work and it has not suffered from the switch, won't have bought it if that had been the case.

Some time ago I posted a link to my website with a photo taken at ISO 6400 with the OMD, handheld and people couldn't believe the quality.

ps/ sorry here is the website link

aclancyphotography.com

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity, how does the OMD compare to the D700 in terms of real world images?

You could look at mirrorless cameras using APS-C sensor and interchangeavble lenses. Fuji X-E1 is compact, not expensive and very good at high ISO. And it has a great 14 mm 2.8 lense if you shoot architecture. Or you can have a 12 mm Zeiss if you want it wider.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back