D7000+ 18-55 VR. Wise Choice for beginners?

I would get the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 over the 16-85mm 3.5-5.6 nikon. It's a better lens IMO (constant 2.8 aperture and very sharp). It's also around $200 cheaper.

I'd recommend the non-VC version, as VR/VC is pointless on a lower focal length lens and actually degrades image quality.

A used Tamron 17-50mm 1:2.8 AF is only around $325 in great condition. Buy used on ebay from someone that accepts returns.

I'm not an expert, but here is my experience;
i have replaced the nikon 18-55 with the non VR 17-50 Tamron, the Tamron is a much better all around
lens than the 18-55 and it's not expensive.

I think its hard to decide what lens to have specially as a beginner.
The big question is what do you normally shoot?

When I purchased my D90 with the kit lens 18-105 (which is not a bad lens as it is light and covers most usable focal range), I ended up selling the 18-105 and buying the 18-200AFS which stays on the body most of the time. The 18-200 is a fast lens which can be used in many different situation, I pretty much listened to Ken Rockwell and could not be happier. Any professional photographer will not be caught dead with a lens with such great zoom variance, but for the average user I think its one of the best lenses to use, not to mention less crap to carry around. With that being said I would also suggest a flash as the internal flash can be lacking in many instances and a 50mm or 35mm 1.8 lens because they are super-fast, very sharp lens which produces amazing pictures (a must have lens specially due to the affordable factor).

I had the 70-300 VR lens which I sold because there was not much use for this lens at the time, however now I'm looking to get a new 70-300 VRII since were going on a month long trip in Europe and would be nice to have a more telephoto lens.

Keep one thing in mind though, as photography grows and you become more experienced, you will want to upgrade to professional lens :) like the 14-24 , 24-70 and the great 70-200 along with 1.4 primes like the 35/50mm and 60/105 Macro Lens and a full frame camera D700 or above. :)

Awesome hobby but pricey. Welcome to the club.

I just bought a D90 and the 35mm f/1.8, also picked up the 70-300mm used of a wedding photographer friend, so we're kind of in the same boat. The 35mm is an awesome lens, the low aperture is so much better than the zoom IMO.

If I were you, I'd start with the 35mm and skip the mid-zoom, the 35mm is great for indoor, outdoor, I absolutely love it. I thought about getting a midzoom for a convenient do-it-all lens but after using the 35mm I don't feel the need. The only advantage to the zoom is the slightly wider angle when you're in a room and can't move back. But, I plan on my next lens purchase being an ultra-wide and then I'll be happy forever (or until I need a fast tele).

Good luck. Start with the 35mm and go from there.

My first question would be: Why as a beginner are you blowing $1,500.00+ on an advanced DSLR? How about you buy a used DSLR, learn the trade, familiarize yourself with exposure, ISO settings, composition, aperture, etc.. Once you know your current DSLR upgrade. I've had my D40x for a year and a half, still working with it, been thinking about upgrading but I haven't felt that i'm being limited by my gear. I do feel limited with my gear when shooting under the football lights with a D40x, and a 55-200 VR lens. Therefore i'm looking to upgrade to a body with better FPS and ISO.

My first question would be: Why as a beginner are you blowing $1,500.00+ on an advanced DSLR? How about you buy a used DSLR, learn the trade, familiarize yourself with exposure, ISO settings, composition, aperture, etc.. Once you know your current DSLR upgrade. I've had my D40x for a year and a half, still working with it, been thinking about upgrading but I haven't felt that i'm being limited by my gear. I do feel limited with my gear when shooting under the football lights with a D40x, and a 55-200 VR lens. Therefore i'm looking to upgrade to a body with better FPS and ISO.

Found the best deal last week on craiglist in Vancouver for the following:

D700 - 1700$
14-24 2.8 for cheap cheap
24-70 2.8 really cheap
60-200 2.8 for 1300 cheap again
SB800 for 300

I would have jumped on all of this but due to a month vacation in Europe coming up in less than 3 months, I could not afford it :(

exactly frank..both are kit lens, i.e. 18-55 n 18-105..so i was thinkin to ditch the 18-105 save 200$ after getting a 18-55.. n put that money into 70-300.because im sure once i have the 70-300VR..i wont be carrying the 18-105 around....i hope thats a good logic :p im thinkin to later replace the 18-55 with a better lens..once i get some skills :)))) What would be a good replacement to a 18-55?

I replaced my 18-55mm with a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Pretty happy with it so far.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

HI, im about to buy my first DSLR and i've finally narrowed down the list to the D7000. However, im still struggling to select the right lens kit for my D7000. Im initially inclined to ditch the 18-105VR that comes with the D7000 kit (thanks
to Ken Rockwell) and pick the 18-55VR for the time being. I realize i wont be able to do justice to the D7000 in the beginning, hence I just want to enhance my skills with the 18-55VR. I later plan to add the 70-300VR and the 35mm/1.8 for indoor photography.
Now, my only concern here is if im doing the right thing by ditching the 18-105VR for the 18-55VR? I couldnt find much reviews on the D7000+18-55VR lens combination and hence I look for your advice on this issue.

Hey bharatwd, for God's sake, do not ditch the 18-105 for a 18-55. Although, Ken Rockwell is a great expert in digital photography, he's not the God. His recommendations—unfortunately—are many times very subjective (rather than scientifically objective) because if he for some reason happens to like something he praises it and if doesn't like something he completely bashes it. With all due respect, but this is a fact!

I have used both 18-55 VR and 18-105 VR with D40, D5000, D3100 and D7000 and I warmly recommend 18-105mm lens: it is clearly sharper (especially wide open) and it has much nicer reach with 105mm vs. 55mm.

For objective lens reviews, please visit unbiased sites like www.lenstip.com, instead. Lenstip has tested throughly both 18-55 and 18-105 lenses and here's what they say about 18-105 in the summary:

"If only Nikon decided to place this lens in a solid body, even raising the price twice, I would recommend it to all amateur photographers..." "...the lens’s fabulous performance places it among one of the best kit lenses I’ve ever tested. I think that everybody, who plans to make a purchase of a Nikon D90, should seriously consider buying it together with the Nikkor 18-105 VR."

Cheers,
-Juha

I think OP already made his/her purchase since he/she asked the question back in Feb 2011 (1 1/2 years ago)

I think OP already made his/her purchase since he/she asked the question back in Feb 2011 (1 1/2 years ago)

It was just meant for the future reference for all you, guys.

My first question would be: Why as a beginner are you blowing $1,500.00+ on an advanced DSLR? How about you buy a used DSLR, learn the trade, familiarize yourself with exposure, ISO settings, composition, aperture, etc.. Once you know your current DSLR upgrade.

I realize this is an old thread but as a person looking at the same camera and also at the same skill level I thought I would take a stab at this. First thing the OP didn't state he currently had a DSLR that he was upgrading, or perhaps he is like me and feels its better to buy once and have a equipment that you can grow into rather than buying equipment that might hold you back and it needs to be replaced costing you more money in the long run.

I have experience with both with the 18-55, 18-105, and the 35mm f/1.8............I now use my 35mm f/1.8 for most things and the 18-55 VR when I need wide angle. The 18-55 at f/5.6-f/8 is really quite descent. I don't care for the 18-105. It is OK on the wide side but is soft at 105 and doesn't focus as close as the 18-55 which will go 1:3. My 18-105 had a focus error of -6 which took some time to correct. The D7000 is such an awesome camera, it lets you adjust just about every aspect of the process.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back