D7000 ISO comparison

interesting. I'm surprised the d3 didnt do as well as i had thought. Wheres the d3s when you need its high iso capability?!

D7000 better than D300...big surprise there.
5DII is better than either D7000 or D3000...big surprise there
D700/D3 is still the best...big surprise there.

the d7000 is quite impresive, i might buy one

It's a good sign when comparisons for a DX camera are up against 2 full frame bodies. It's pretty amazing that they got an extra 4 megapixels AND cleaner ISO.

KenRockwell's article said:
The D7000 images are shown at 100%, while the other cameras were resampled as needed in Photoshop CS5 (bicubic)
.... =/

I'm not changing till the D400/500 or w/e comes out. At that point I'm sure it will get the tech from the D3s as the d300 got from the d3. At that point I'm sure it will be a great camera. The 300 is one of the best crop sensors around and it's replacement will be even better I am sure. Until then........

Make sure you're comparing detail, not noise. Mr. Rockwell doesn't know how to do a true noise comparison test, instead he shoots in jpeg with results in the camera's noise reduction having an effect (regardless of if you think you turned the noise reduction off ).

Make sure you're comparing detail, not noise. Mr. Rockwell doesn't know how to do a true noise comparison test, instead he shoots in jpeg with results in the camera's noise reduction having an effect (regardless of if you think you turned the noise reduction off ).

LOL very true. Good point. Though The shots do show the d7000 handling itself very well.

I thought the most salient point Ken made was this: "At ISO 25,600, the Nikon D7000 is noisy, but devoid of annoying artifacts, making it much more usable at ISO 25,600 than any of these other cameras." That was my conclusion when I first looked at the images, then went down and read his conclusions.

It seems that the electronics on the new D7000,and the new Pentax K 5, have extremely smooth, low-noise, banding-free imaging abilities even when the exposure levels are very,very low, and when the signal's gain is cranked wayyyyy up. This is an approach Nikon pioneered in the D3x: work very,very hard to develop sophisticated, low-noise electronics and low read-out noise, and good noise reduction capabilities, in order to get the maximum image quality at the higher ISO levels. The pixel density is still not as high as "the other" camera company went with, and the pixel wells are around 25% or so larger than "the other" camera company was forced to go with...

This bodes well for the next generation of FF cameras. As well as for the D300s replacement and other APS-C sized Nikons.

The D700 replacement better be a game changer, because I can't think of too many things that would make the D700 much better than it already is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back