D7000 Leaves shadow when using flash

How close are you to your subject? The closer you are the worse this will be. Figure out with some test shooting how far away your subject has to be for the flash to shoot over the lens. Then at least you will have an idea of when you can use the pop up flash without the shadow.

This is a tad misleading.

For example if the lens casts a shadow in the bottom third of the frame because the pop-up is too close to the lens axis, then that shadow will be present in the bottom third of every frame, regardless of what is in the frame.

If you get a shadow in an image of a wall caused by the lens shadowing the pop-up flash, that shadow is not going to go away by stepping further away from the wall.

Yes it will. If the wall is .01 inches in front of the lens, the shadow will cover 99.99999999% of the frame, if not 100%. If the wall is 100 miles away (by now it's a theoretical wall), the flash (although incredibly dim by then) will cover it. It's called parallax.

The only time I use my popup flash on my D200 is to trigger my SB-700 off camera. Other than that..........it's useless.

Fyi you dont need to spend $300+ on a new nikon speedlight. There are cheaper alternatives, like an older manual flash or a third party flash.

Also your popup flash should work fine at 50mm or longer.

haha what a good bit of info thanks for the thread, would have never thought of that. it being the lens and all... pop up flash sounds pretty lame, why do these cameras even have them?

haha what a good bit of info thanks for the thread, would have never thought of that. it being the lens and all... pop up flash sounds pretty lame, why do these cameras even have them?

Because they trigger OCFs via Nikons CLS.

Neither of my cameras have pop-up flashes. :(

The less expensive consumer grade camera bodies have them because quite a few people find them acceptable.The pro bodies exclude them for obvious reasons.

i never had a problem with no lens hood and the kit lens, then drop a big lens on the camera yeah, it happens, its just not high enough.

The other day I was testing the pop up flash on my D70S coupled with a 18-70mm lens & shade for close up floral work, where I really didn't want a powerful flash, nor any higher angle then necessary. Using the 70mm focal length caused caused the shade to intrude in the flash pattern. When I removed the lens shade, the issue was resolved.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back