What's new

D7000 Lens Help!

swillis

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, everyone I know this topic has been beaten to death but I've done some research and I'm still stuck. I am considering getting the Nikon D7000, it will be my first DSLR camera and I'm having trouble deciding what lens to get. I have a budget of about $1,800 that I have saved up. I am planning on ordering it online so I'm not worried about tax. I seen the body on amazon for $1,099, so I have about $700 for lenses. I hope to get 2 to 3 lenses that would cover most things.

I would like to shoot nature related stuff (landscapes, flowers, wildlife) and do some portraits of people.

I have heard that getting the 18-105mm as a kit with the camera will be a waste of money is this true? I wouldn't mind getting it but I don't want to spend a ton of money on a lens that I might outgrow quickly. Anything you would recommend getting instead for the money that would fit my needs? The kit on amazon with this lens is $1,399

I also read that people usually recommend the 50mm 1.8g and the 35mm 1.8g. Based on the first lens you recommend, which one of these should I get?

I'm planning on ordering this week hopefully. Again I apologize for making another thread on this topic. Thanks a lot!!
 
Landscapes, flowers, and wildlife tend to be shot during daylight hours so you don't need a fast lens for those, and the kit 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G should work just fine. Except, that 105mm is pretty short for trying to shoot wildlife, even if you have world-class field craft skills.

Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

The 18-105mm would also be good for daytime portraits, particularly from 50 mm up to and including 105 mm. (35 mm tends to disort people features (think caricature, like a big nose).

For indoor portraits, using off camera flash (OCF) instead of a fast prime lens would give more towards professional looking lighting. Using supplimental lighting like OCF, again you don't need a fast lens, so the 18-105 would work just fine.

Instead of the 50 mm and 35 mm f/1.8's for portraits, I'd recommend getting a Nikon SB-700, an inexpensive slave flash like a
Yn-460ii Flash Speedlite for Nikon D5000 D3000 D90 D80

a light stand/umbrella kit Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

and a book on doing OCF like - Off-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Photographers
 
Thanks for the suggestions! I would like to get something like that but it might not be a realistic for me at the moment in terms of use. Would you suggest getting Nikon 55-300mm? If I order from B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders I can get it for $250 instead of $400.

Would the 18-105mm, 55-300mm, and (35mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.8G) be a good combination or do you have better one?
 
I agree with Keith to get the kit lens and a flash. Afterwards, with much more thought given to what focal lengths your really need, then start looking at the lens choices.
 
Okay, I'll get the the flash. I'm still thinking I should get that 55-300mm for wildlife stuff since I can save $150 on it with the kit?
 
swillis said:
Okay, I'll get the the flash. I'm still thinking I should get that 55-300mm for wildlife stuff since I can save $150 on it with the kit?

I have the 55-300 and I've been happy with it. I mainly use my 50mm but the zoom comes in handy at the zoo and when you need it for longer shots. It's not great in low light but it's nice to have a zoom.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom