D7100 and Tamron 150-600

Ted Evans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Tamron came a couple days ago but so far I am disappointed. No doubt some, perhaps most, is operator error but there may be an alignment problem also. It seems to be sharper when I manually focus as opposed to AF. After my shop warms up, I am going to attempt to fabricate a lens alignment setup and see if anything shows up. So far, my old Nikon 300 f/4.5 is sharper but then it is manual focus only. I have it and a Nikon TC-14B listed on eBay but now I am hoping they do not sell, at least until the Tamron issue is resolved. BTW, it is on a tripod with VC off and remote triggering, from 400 to 600 tried.

try doing some microfocus adjustments. On my canon 6d I had to bring my tamron to +9 at 600mm.

What an education...after constructing my lens alignment fixture, I found the Tamron needed +16 but what was even more startling was that my Nikon 200 f/4 micro needed +16 and my Nikon 18-140 needed +18. Could this mean the D7100 is off that much and if it is, should I have Nikon check it? It is only a couple of months old with 500-600 clicks.

The image was done hand-held and I shake so badly that I was amazed that one could come out at all. It is 600mm, f/6.3, 160 and ISO 400.

_DSC0772.JPG

One big problem is your shutter speed. At 600mm handheld along with you saying how shaky you are - the shutter speed should be significantly faster. I shoot at 600mm often and my presets start at 1/2000 (anticipating my subject may move or simply takeoff and fly away).

Try again with a faster shutter speed and don't be afraid to use auto iso to compensate.

Oh - BTW that shot is not bad at all for 1/160 @ 600mm. You are steadier than you think.

One big problem is your shutter speed. At 600mm handheld along with you saying how shaky you are - the shutter speed should be significantly faster. I shoot at 600mm often and my presets start at 1/2000 (anticipating my subject may move or simply takeoff and fly away).

Try again with a faster shutter speed and don't be afraid to use auto iso to compensate.

I dunno. Is 1/20 too slow at 430mm?

Freedom_2987post.jpg

Freedom_2987post.jpg

:) as long as you can hold it still. I'm old and wayyyy to jittery for that. LOL

Thanks Jaca, I am aware of that, this was only an exercise in checking the focus. Normally, when I use anything longer than my 18-140, it is on a tripod with a remote shutter release if I am trying for anything more than a snapshot.

Freedom_2987post.jpg

Very impressive Sparky....I would never get one that clean even with 8k speed. I just asked my doctor about my shaking and his answer was....it's old age, live with it.

for all of your lenses to be that off, it may be something with your camera body.

for all of your lenses to be that off, it may be something with your camera body.

I am wondering the same thing being that they are off very close to the same amount in the same direction. I may try to contact Nikon tomorrow and see what they say.

Freedom_2987post.jpg

Oh bummer. Apparently there is something you posted that I can't see. :(

Most reactions

Back