D7100 vs D610

This is exactly the kind of dilemma I'm having.

Have a D7100 and it was a HUGE improvement over my D3200.

But I seem to be photographing more and more of my family and dogs. Sure, I still like taking wildlife pics and football pics but the low-light here in the UK really is crap this time of year. Seems to be overcast all the time and I think I would really benefit from the low-light capabilities of the D610.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has one so that I could test it out and compare.

And, another thing that is stopping me, is that I really like the 51-point AF system on the D7100.

Is the 39-point AF on the D610 really that much worse?

I've been shooting the D7100 for about two years now, and I thought the 39 points would bother me, but I just recently had a D7000 as well. Sure, the focus points on the D610 is condense in the center, but I haven't had any problems with composition. I really enjoy this camera. It handles very well, and I like the results that I am getting from full frame (generally speaking).

I shoot wildlife from time to time and action shots of my kids. I haven't employed the 3D auto focus/tracking on either cameras. I use single point and wait for the shot that I am looking for. I don't spray and pray, so I can't attest to that comparison, but for what I shoot, which mostly are my kids, I love it. The low light performance is also night and day between the two. I think reviews state that it is a one stop advantage for the D610, but it makes a world of a difference.

are you using 50mm f1.8D or 35mm f2D on the nikon D610?
does it focus well ? most of the modern nikon cameras i have used with the older D type lens seems to always back/front focus ...

I am using the 50mm 1.8D and it focuses well. It doesn't focus as fast in low light as my D7100 does, but the resulting image is better. So it's a give or take.

does it focus well ? most of the modern nikon cameras i have used with the older D type lens seems to always back/front focus ...

I am using the 50mm 1.8D and it focuses well. It doesn't focus as fast in low light as my D7100 does, but the resulting image is better. So it's a give or take.

like i said, most of the nikon cameras i had have many focus issues with old lens.. it might just be me.. but the amount of gear i change makes me feel and alot of them have this issue...
at the moment i have 6d + 40mm f2.8 stm lens and focus is pin sharp but not happy with the focus.. which is why i alway trend to fall for D610 + 35mm f2...
i will be buying the reikan foCal software and see how it goes...

like i said, most of the nikon cameras i had have many focus issues with old lens.. it might just be me.. but the amount of gear i change makes me feel and alot of them have this issue...
at the moment i have 6d + 40mm f2.8 stm lens and focus is pin sharp but not happy with the focus.. which is why i alway trend to fall for D610 + 35mm f2...

I really love my D610 + 35 f/2D its a very good combo and that lens focuses very fast. I have a 50 1.8G but I hardly use it, but it didn't cost much so might as well keep it because it does produce some beautiful bokeh. No focusing issues for me either.

I really love my D610 + 35 f/2D its a very good combo and that lens focuses very fast. I have a 50 1.8G but I hardly use it, but it didn't cost much so might as well keep it because it does produce some beautiful bokeh. No focusing issues for me either.

yes i love the nikon D600/D610 more than the Canon 6D... it suits me more, however if i compare the two cameras, i get much sharper images from canon most of the time... i am sure its the lens calabaration and not the body itself

yes i love the nikon D600/D610 more than the Canon 6D... it suits me more, however if i compare the two cameras, i get much sharper images from canon most of the time... i am sure its the lens calabaration and not the body itself

The sharpest image I've ever gotten came from my d7100 with a nikon 60mm 2.8. The photos were so sharp, it would cut you looking at it and make pixel peepers climax, but I no longer have the lens. I think I will buy it again for my 610.

You can fine tune the lenses too, but I never found I had to. If you want to get them perfect then setup a focus chart with good lighting and begin the adjustments using AF Fine Tune.

The sharpest image I've ever gotten came from my d7100 with a nikon 60mm 2.8. The photos were so sharp, it would cut you looking at it and make pixel peepers climax, but I no longer have the lens. I think I will buy it again for my 610.

sometimes the body just matches with some lens... its not necessary you will get the same sharp result with D610 and 60mm f2.8..
most of these problems i have faced on D7000 than any other camera.... the focus is just terrible... most of the images are soft and at high iso when you apply noise reduction, it makes the image very very soft... hopefully i will do some testings today and get back with some images from both D600 and 6D

You can fine tune the lenses too, but I never found I had to. If you want to get them perfect then setup a focus chart with good lighting and begin the adjustments using AF Fine Tune.

yes i have tried doing it but to be honest most of the time it looks as nothings changing ... also sometimes close up shots look sharp but when you take distance shot, it again becomes very soft..

What's the deal with the D600 at the moment? If you buy it and it has the oil spot issue, do Nikon repair it for you, free of charge?

they'll replace the shutter system and AA filter even without oil spots on your sensor free of charge, so long as the service hasn't been performed on it yet.

if you get oil spots on it after the repair, they'll replace the camera with a new D610.

The D600 is an incredible value right now.

they'll replace the shutter system and AA filter even without oil spots on your sensor free of charge, so long as the service hasn't been performed on it yet.

if you get oil spots on it after the repair, they'll replace the camera with a new D610.

Sounds very tempting then, I'll take a look at the differences between the 600 and 610

Sounds very tempting then, I'll take a look at the differences between the 600 and 610

.5 fps. that's basically it, and if you can get nikon to replace it for a d610, you profit. if you dont have oil and dust issues, you have a great camrea.

d610 ... and you have the super fast quiet mode

I have broguht and sold 3 different d600 bodies over the time and I haven't had the problems of the oil sensor problem .. or it was not visible enough as some have made it over the internet... just a few months ago I did see some marks on the sensor, so I ordered a few wet swipes from Ebay and cleaned it up. problem solved .. I am now on my 4th D600 body...
I did some micro adjustments with the D600 and 35 f2D lens and looks like it is -20 !!! I think if the AF tune could go more , then I think i would set it as -25 or -30 :/...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back