D7100 vs D610

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not another one of those threads! Neh. I just finally took the D610 out today for the first time, and WOW. For what I do, I can't believe I've been shooting with the D7100 for the last two years. The viewfinder is clearer, and the colors come out a bit more saturated and in a good way, and the subject isolation is great. Although I just bought the 17-55 f/2.8 for my D7100, I think it's time for it to take a seat. My only complaint about the D610 is the focus point coverage, but it doesn't seem to be THAT much of a big deal. I guess I have another complaint. The ISO button is in a weird position. On the D7100, it's on the button right above where the D610's is located and is located in a more natural position for my thumb. But in regards to image quality, there is a noticeable difference between the two. Any sports shooting I do, I do of my kids, and they're slow enough for me to pick a single focus point and compose from there. Here's to the FX conversion! sigh

cams.jpg

yeah the D610 is a just a great camera for the price!

The IQ and dynamic range is just flat out impressive.

haha, you should have told me you were gonna do it, I just sold my D600 last night.

Yup, think of all those naysayers that can't believe it can be a lot better.
I tried my d7000 last night for some aircraft. I immediately knew the difference as the ISO control was just too high for something that d600 wouldn't even notice as the light started to fade.

I tried my d7000 last night for some aircraft. I immediately knew the difference as the ISO control was just too high for something that d600 wouldn't even notice as the light started to fade.
I took out my old 7D and my D600 on "last rides" last night, since I was getting rid of both of them, and if you want to talk about a ***stark*** difference in low light performance, man wow.

I took out my old 7D and my D600 on "last rides" last night, since I was getting rid of both of them, and if you want to talk about a ***stark*** difference in low light performance, man wow.
Are you going to a Mirrorless ?

Are you going to a Mirrorless ?
Probably eventually. I'm mainly just not doing much paid work anymore, and I'm generally fine with my D7100 for sports and professional headshots (which is most of what I'm doing paid). Pretty much all my "personal" photography can be done with my X100T and the converters for it. If not I still have my D7100.

I didn't love the D600 for sports, didn't find it that much better than the D7100. Probably the only full frame I'd worry with at this point is the D4, and well, I simply don't work enough to justify that any longer, now that it's all freelance.

I think eventually fuji will come out with a 200mm f/2.8 and a slightly more sports capable version of the xt1, and at that point I'll probably go to full mirrorless.

Exactly how I felt the first time I shot my D750 after selling my D7100, just a noticeable improvement in IQ especially anywhere above 800ISO.
D7100 is an awesome camera but crop sensor simply aint in the same level full frame is.
Glad you enjoy your D610, just a great camera, I do share your feelings about the smaller AF pints area, I also felt a bit robbed when comparing the 51 AF of the D7100 and D750, the D7100 has a much better overall coverage but once you get used to it its not such a big deal.

Again, exactly how I felt when I switched from D7000 to D610. I shoot a lot in low light and the full frame sensor made a HUGE difference. Yes, there is noise but its just fine grain and the details are still there not washed out and swiss cheese grain like the D7000 was at extreme ISOs. Also, don't you just love the sound of a full frame shutter/mirror? Haha. But there are downsides with the D610..small AF area in which I got use to very fast, slower sync speed and shutter speed. 1/4000 vs 1/8000, but for exposure, its the same because the D610 can go to ISO 50. So on D7xxx, ISO 100 @ 1/8000 is the same exposure as a D610 @ ISO 50, 1/4000. If you are wondering about freezing action, 1/4000 is plenty, unless you are shooting hummingbirds and want to freeze their wings..then the 1/8000 would totally be handy, but you'll need to artificial lighting. Personally I prefer motion in hummingbird shots. I'm so happy that I decided to go full frame, I never thought I ever would..always said I'm going to wait for the D400, well that never happened and my D7000 was wearing out..so hello D610. Best decision I ever made.

fjrabon said:

According to DxO Mark's "Low-Light ISO" test category, the Nikon D600 earns a very respectable score of 2,980, while the Canon 7D tests out at 854.

Overall score for the D600 is a superb 94; the 2009-era 7D scores a 66 on total sensor performance.

The D7100 comes in between the two, with an overall sensor performance score of 83, and a Low-Light ISO score of 1,256.

The D600 and D610 score almost identically in sensor performance in all categories.

Reactions: alv
As much as I loved my D7100, I was genuinely impressed by the difference in low light performance improvement with the D600.

This is exactly the kind of dilemma I'm having.

Have a D7100 and it was a HUGE improvement over my D3200.

But I seem to be photographing more and more of my family and dogs. Sure, I still like taking wildlife pics and football pics but the low-light here in the UK really is crap this time of year. Seems to be overcast all the time and I think I would really benefit from the low-light capabilities of the D610.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has one so that I could test it out and compare.

And, another thing that is stopping me, is that I really like the 51-point AF system on the D7100.

Is the 39-point AF on the D610 really that much worse?

Last edited:
are you using 50mm f1.8D or 35mm f2D on the nikon D610?
does it focus well ? most of the modern nikon cameras i have used with the older D type lens seems to always back/front focus ...

does it focus well ? most of the modern nikon cameras i have used with the older D type lens seems to always back/front focus ...
most of my lens are AF-D lenses and I have no focusing issues from UWA to Super Zoom on my d600

most of my lens are AF-D lenses and I have no focusing issues from UWA to Super Zoom on my d600

ok thanks for the info.. i will now try to use the f0cal software to calabarate the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back