D7200 focus point selection

Blind Bruce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this question in the beginners section as I truly am a novice in the digital world. I am trying to photograph a model in my makeshift living room studio.
I splurged and bought a Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 lens. I now find some images slightly out of focus so I want to refine the focus points a bit. I am trying manual mode with auto ISO, and AF-S. Is there a better setup you can suggest? I read something about focus clusters but don't know hot to set for a small square. My vision doesn't permit me to use the viewfinder or the LCD on top of the camera so I only use the live view on the back. It is just a hobby for me but I am having fun!!!
Bruce in the Peg

I think your setup is good. Allow the speed to be at least 1/125 of a second,and in studio setup f8 is a pretty safe bet assuming you're using flash.

There is a pad on the back of your camera that has ok written in the middle. Part of that switch has a little toggle lever. Make sure this is set so the dot on top lines up with the dot on the camera body. If it is lined up with L on the camera body, your af point is locked.

You can now use up or down or left or right on this pad to select af point. I recommend single point af, and just move your focus point where you want it with the pad

.. Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 lens. I now find some images slightly out of focus ..
Are you shooting at maximum aperture? If so it might be that your DOF was too thin, and wherever the focus point was, too much of the image was out of focus.

One thing you might try, is to ask your wife to set the focus point to one that will naturally fall on your model's eye, then switch places and see if you can get the focus point on her eye.

Most reactions

Back