dbrandon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.viaus.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm a long time reader and first time poster, so thanks to the whole community. I have learnt a lot from this site and hope to be able to contribute a lot more in future.

I am new to photography and have just purchased a Nikon D80 which I am in the process of getting used to. I have been playing around with Exposure Compensation but I cannot see any difference in shots when using this feature. I don't know if it's something i'm doing wrong, or something I need to do differently.

Here is an example of 3 photos taken for demonstration of this problem (first with -3eV comp, second with 0eV comp, third with +3eV comp).

-3.jpg

0.jpg

3.jpg

I was in manual mode 'M' and had not changed anything apart from the Exposure Compensation from shot to shot. You can view the EXIF data for a more detailed breakdown of the shot settings.

Should the photos all look exactly the same, or have I overlooked some settings ?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

David.

I don't ever use exposure compensaton myself, but it stands to reason that it wouldn't work in Manual mode. If you want to compensate the exposure in Manual, you just adjust the shutter speed, aperture, or ISO "MANUALLY". In aperture priority, or shutter priority, exposure comp will have an effect.

Digital Matt is right on.
If you are in manual mode, you are setting the aperture and exposure. The exposure compensation should kick in when you are in A or S mode.

Thank you both for your very quick replys, you were quite right, the mode was the problem. Sorry for such a silly question, you can probably tell I've never used a DSLR before :confused:

Thanks again :wink:

i also have a D80......Manual mode is not a problem with exposure compensation.....when you use exposurre compensation.....what you need to do with manual mode is that you need to make sure the meter is at the centre when you are adjusting the exposure...with a positive compensation....the meter will pull to the left...so you need more exposure to pull it back to the centre...with a negative.....the meter will be pulled to the right....then you need less exposure to pull it back to the centre......exposure compensation works for all mode..........it kicks in automatically for A,S,P, and full auto mode.......with manual mode...the affect is only shown on the meter....that's why you dont really need to use exposure compensation with manual mode because you can do it manually by overexposing or underexposing (reading the camera meter)

i also have a D80......Manual mode is not a problem with exposure compensation.....when you use exposurre compensation.....what you need to do with manual mode is that you need to make sure the meter is at the centre when you are adjusting the exposure...with a positive compensation....the meter will pull to the left...so you need more exposure to pull it back to the centre...with a negative.....the meter will be pulled to the right....then you need less exposure to pull it back to the centre......exposure compensation works for all mode..........it kicks in automatically for A,S,P, and full auto mode.......with manual mode...the affect is only shown on the meter....that's why you dont really need to use exposure compensation with manual mode because you can do it manually by overexposing or underexposing (reading the camera meter)

No, what the exposure comp is doing is adjusting the meter itself to expose differently than normal in one direction or another. It will work in manual mode but it will simply "recalibrate" the meter. Any adjustments you make to manual exposure will still have to be made manually.

Matt is correct. No point in using exposure comp in manual mode. Its purpose is to adjust exposure in the auto modes.

No, what the exposure comp is doing is adjusting the meter itself to expose differently than normal in one direction or another. It will work in manual mode but it will simply "recalibrate" the meter. Any adjustments you make to manual exposure will still have to be made manually.

Matt is correct. No point in using exposure comp in manual mode. Its purpose is to adjust exposure in the auto modes.

that is simply what i was saying....why you said "NO"????...i said the affect is shown on the meter...but you still need to adjust the exposure manually.....so there is no point in using exposure compensation with manual mode

the affect of exposure compensation is adjusting (recalibrate for a different threshold) the light meter ......doesnt matter which mode you are doing......that is what it does.....with full/semi auto modes......is still the same....except with full/semi auto....the consequence of affecting the light meter is that the camera would adjust the setting automatically to give you the compensation you desired...that's all

that is simply what i was saying....why you said "NO"????...i said the affect is shown on the meter...but you still need to adjust the exposure manually.....so there is no point in using exposure compensation with manual mode

the affect of exposure compensation is adjusting (recalibrate for a different threshold) the light meter ......doesnt matter which mode you are doing......that is what it does.....with full/semi auto modes......is still the same....except with full/semi auto....the consequence of affecting the light meter is that the camera would adjust the setting automatically to give you the compensation you desired...that's all

i think what he was saying no to was where you said
shingfan said:
Manual mode is not a problem with exposure compensation.....when you use exposurre compensation

not so much saying you were wrong i don't guess, but merely the way you worded it was odd.

Most reactions

Back