D80 Problems Before and After Shots

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
By doing a little research on the interwebz, it looks like I have a bent aperture lever. It must be slight though, because it doesn't look out of place. But by the symptoms it really seems like this is my problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am experiencing severe underexposure.

I have tried fixing it myself by gently pushing on it and adjusting it, but I haven't had any luck in fixing it. I plan on sending it off to Nikon tomorrow with my 50mm 1.4 lens to have it fixed. It is estimated that it will cost about $150. I have had my camera for about 8 or 9 years now, and its been through A LOT. It may be user abuse partly to blame, along with much dust, rain, being dropped,MANY MANY lens changes (which is probably what ultimately did this) with many different large and small lenses.

Here is a photo taken when the camera was operating correctly:
EXIF:
Nikon D80
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
F stop f/1.4
Exposure 1/4000
ISO 100
Exposure 0 step
Metering Center Weighted Average
Aperture Priority
No Flash
White Balance Manual

Operating incorrectly NOTICE SEVERE UNDEREXPOSURE
EXIF:
Nikon D80
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
F stop f/1.4
Exposure 1/4000
ISO 800
Exposure 0 step
Metering Pattern
Aperture Priority
No Flash
White Balance Manual

Ok first off I can't believe no one has replied to this yet - secondly I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I was just wondering what were some of the initial symptoms you started noticing and what were the resources you found while investigating this?

I'm curious because I actually have been having terrible problems recently with OVER exposure and after reading your post I'm suddenly worried I might have the same problem.

I was looking at your EXIF data and I noticed your ISO for the 2nd picture was 800 - I assume you've tried lowering this and are still having issues, right? Would you be willing to upload a couple raw files so we can maybe take a look at the histograms?

I suppose now that it's been a few days, have you heard anything back from Nikon?

Also just a small FYI I tried to check out your website but it pointed me to some Level (3) search engine - I'd love to look at more of your pictures if you have a gallery somewhere!

Most reactions

Back