D80 vs 400D/D40x

Oops! Missed this one :(

Thanks for the thoughts. I do plan on taking photgraphy to 'different' places as you say, and possibly even sell my photo's (long term goal :mrgreen:)

The D80 would last me longer before I have to upgrade.

Is anyone using a D40x and selling thier photo's? For whatever, weddings, magazines etc?

It may be I chose the D80 over this 1 fact despite the coolness of the D40x :D

EDIT: Oh, and there are a few extra features I'd like to play with which the D40x seems to be lacking, eg Bracketing, more metering options, status LCD etc

The lack of status LCD screen is a big thing IMHO, but bracketing can be done just by changing shutter speed or aperture a stop or two.

Im still torn between the 2 :(

I think ill just play around with both and decide on the spot :)

Personally, if you can afford to get the D80, then get that over the D40x. In two years, I plan to upgrade to a D80, so if you could get it now, you wouldn't really need to upgrade down the road.

Well technically I cant afford EITHER of them now but am planning on which one to save for :D
I have decided on the D80 after reading a thread on nikoncafe (thanks NateS) which compared the D80 to the D200...the D80 got alot of praise!

Thanks imgfascination :)

Ive read its a very good camera too and know a few people who use it and are also very happy :)

I was always leaning towards the D80 anyway so I didn't have to buy an ok camera to start with (D40x/400D) and another camera down the track (D80/D300) :)

Might as well spend a bit more upfront :)

Thanks imgfascination :)

Ive read its a very good camera too and know a few people who use it and are also very happy :)

I was always leaning towards the D80 anyway so I didn't have to buy an ok camera to start with (D40x/400D) and another camera down the track (D80/D300) :)

Might as well spend a bit more upfront :)

Exactly my thought-process on glass.

I would certainly not go with the second kit because it won't be wide at all on any DX-format sensor.

I can't see your wishlist because that is done by account/computer.

The Nikkor 70-300VR that we were discussing earlier is here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-USA/Nikon_2161_70_300mm_f_4_5_6G_AF_S_VR.html

Here's a good, cheap, Nikkor kit lens for the D80:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324190-USA/Nikon_2149_18_70mm_f_3_5_4_5_G_AFS_ED_IF.html

Here's the 18-200VR that lots of people swear by (and lots of people don't like... just like the 70-300VR):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408518-USA/Nikon_2159_18_200mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_IF_AF_S.html

All of these lenses can be purchased for slightly cheaper without the Nikon USA warranty, but that's not usually suggested for lenses at this price range.

You could also consider some third-party lenses such as a Sigma or Tokina.

Hi Jestev,

Silly wishlist :p I blame the wish list!
Here are the items which were on it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=484235&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=233265&is=GREY

I don't have to worry about the USA warranty as I live in New Zealand :D Its actually cheaper for me to buy from B&H than it is from our local places...

That lense would take me rather long to save for :\
In this thread here http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97519 the 70-300 lense is the non-VR version, thats more in line with my planned budget :p

It that lense this one? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207359-GREY/Nikon_1928_Zoom_Telephoto_AF_Zoom.html

Also, how do I tell if the lense is suited for a DX sensor?

EDIT:

It might help a bit to let you know my planned budget...
The D80 body + $300 worth of glass would be ok, or a kit + lense combination which makes up the same amount.

I would like to do landscapes (which I understand I need wide angle for?) and animals (for which I probably need a long lense!)

I have that 70-300G that you have listed in your last post (except I have the black version, not the silver) and I think it's a pretty bad lens from my experiences with it. I outgrew it very shortly after getting it, and when I got it I knew very little about photography technology and such. You may want to wait on getting a telephoto lens until you have enough money to get a nicer one unless you feel the need to have one now. If you want to get a better lens you could even go with the Nikkor 55-200VR.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to get a different first lens then the 18-55 in that kit. It's a decent lens for its price, but when you start using better and better cameras (such as the D80) you start to notice its issues more than I do on my D50. If you can, buy the D80 body only and then buy an 18-70, 18-135, or 18-200VR seperately. Because you're tighter on money I would get the 18-70.

Of course these are my personal views, and the most imporant thing is that you're happy.

Any lens can work on a DX-format sensor it just will have a 1.5x crop (ie: 18mm on 35mm film sized image plane is 27mm) so you would want a wider lens on your DX-format DSLR than you would normally need on a film SLR to capture the same image (focal length-wise).

I finally realised VR stands for vibration reduction! Lol

Is that the only difference between the VR and non-VR version of the same lense?

If im taking landscape photo's, I will be using a tripod so VR isn't really required, or is it?

Are there other differences, say in glass quality etc etc?

Instead of using this...
Zoom Super Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II Autofocus Lens ~$720.00!!
... for landscapes/animals/everything

(I cant find a 18-70mm with VR??)

Would an ok alternative be to use these...
D80 kit w/ Zoom Super Wide Angle Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens ~$100.00
...for landscapes (no VR but Ill be using a tripod)
Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens ~$224.00
...for other stuff (VR helps when im not using a tripod)

B&H's descriptions say the ED-IF lenses allow the use of polarising lenses, does this mean the ED (not IF) does not?
I had planned on using a pol. filter :(

Thanks! Sorry about the million questions! Theres only so much books can teach me :) Learning from others experiences work best :p

If you are taking landscaping pictures, you wouldn't be using a 70-300 zoom lens regardless. You'd use your 18-55 for landscaping pictures. If you get the 70-300, get the one Jestev posted, not the one in your link. It runs around $470 on B&H which should let you know if you have the right one. The 55-200 is also a good lens. Quality is not quite as good as the 70-300, but it's pretty small and light (not much bigger than the kit lens), and still covers a pretty large range. I go back and forth between the 55-200 and the 70-300 about 4 times a day. I like the compactness and lightness and price of 55-200, but like the extra zoom and sharpness of the 70-300. Dang it, now I can't decide between them again.

Glad I could help :p

Ok, so unless someone change my mind again :D I think ive decided on the kit with the 18-55 I mentioned above, and the 55-200 I also mentioned.

Can I still use a polarising filter with the non internal focus lenses?

EDIT:

Nooooo!!! I just saw a B&H Kit with this lense

18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449087-GREY/Nikon_2162_18_135mm_f_3_5_5_6_ED_IF_AF_S.html

If has IF so would work with polarising filters which I want.

Any thoughts on this one as a starter? (As a substitude to the other ones I mention in this post)

Doesn't have VR but is it still ok?

Hmmm, I've heard those 2 mentioned alot.
I would think i'd need a bit of a faster lense for animal/bird photography?

I know there is no on size fits all lense, but what lense would one recommend as a starting point for each of the 400D/D40x/D80.

Ideally I wouln't want it to set me back much more than the twin lense kit for each.
I don't know if this will help you any but my photos of landscapes and critters are shot with a D40X with the two lens kit 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. I quickly upgraded to the 70-300VR and use it as my standard lens now. You can see my photos at www.t-asikes.com and click the ted's photo link. You can get an idea of the pics you can expect from the D40X. Hope it helps

Most reactions

New Topics

Back