D80 vs 400D/D40x

basil4j

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

First post on this forum for me and I have the same old question ;)

Im new to photography and am looking at saving for a nice SLR.
I'd like to stick with either Nikon or Canon (leaning more towards Nikon ut again not so important).

Ideally I'd like my first camera to be the Nikon D80 but im finding it hard to justify spending the extra bit of $$ for my first body.

My main questions is, how long will a Canon 400D or Nikon D40x keep me happy before I feel the need to upgrade? Or should I wait a bit longer and go for the D80 as my first body?

I guess this is very much a personal decision but any input is appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback!

Alec

I should mention, thats I think I'd pick the 400D over the D40x due to the whole lense limitaitons of the D40x...any comments on that restriction?

FWIW I'm happy with my D40.

Hi :)

Do you find the limitation on the lenses you can use much of a disadvantage? Its a shame cause I realy like the rest of the camera :)

I would think it would be.

If you think you'll outgrow the D40/D40x in less than 2 years, get the D80. If you think you can go 2+ years with the D40/x and not be restricted then go with it.

Just remember that the D40/x would rule out many, cheaper, and wonderful Nikon AF lenses.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the D80 because of this fact. Granted, the D80 has many other great tools, too. If you don't think you need them, and don't think the lack of an internal AF-motor will hold you back, get the cheaper D40/x.

I would hope in 2 years I will of progressed a bit :)

Ps. I have an interest in landscape and animal photography.

*Is anyone/does anyone know of pro's still using the D80 in thier proffession? I know in the end it comes down to the photographer, but just curious if there is anyone out there who has had such great results with the D80 (or the 400D/D40x for that matter) they stuck with it.

I looks as though it's not quite aimed at pro's like the D300 etc is. Someone correct me if im wrong :p

*EDIT: Rephrased

I would think it would be.

If you think you'll outgrow the D40/D40x in less than 2 years, get the D80. If you think you can go 2+ years with the D40/x and not be restricted then go with it.

Just remember that the D40/x would rule out many, cheaper, and wonderful Nikon AF lenses.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the D80 because of this fact. Granted, the D80 has many other great tools, too. If you don't think you need them, and don't think the lack of an internal AF-motor will hold you back, get the cheaper D40/x.

Hi Jestev,

Thanks for the feedback. As you suggest, I would like to be able to use those cheaper yet good lenses which the D40x does not support. My budget does not allow me spend alot on upgrades all the time on bodys/glass (now im a pro...i used the word glass :mrgreen:) so im planning on my first set being one which will last me a while.

I personally got the D40 and planned to upgrade in about 2 years when I bought it. I'll get the D80 down the road. It would have taken me a good 6 months to save up for the D80 and I wasn't waiting that long.

As far as lenses. There's only a couple of lenses that I want and they are available for the D40.

I'll use the kit lens for landscape and general photography
I'm getting a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens for portraits. It will be manual focus, but for portraits, I don't mind that.
and lastly, I'm getting an Nikkor AF-S 70-300 zoom lens for animal and wildlife photography. There's also an AF-S 55-200 zoom lens that would work for this.

Anyway, my point is that, while lenses are limited with the D40 and D40x, there are still plenty to choose from and probably more variety than a beginner will need for the first couple of years.

I personally got the D40 and planned to upgrade in about 2 years when I bought it. I'll get the D80 down the road. It would have taken me a good 6 months to save up for the D80 and I wasn't waiting that long.

As far as lenses. There's only a couple of lenses that I want and they are available for the D40.

I'll use the kit lens for landscape and general photography
I'm getting a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens for portraits. It will be manual focus, but for portraits, I don't mind that.
and lastly, I'm getting an Nikkor AF-S 70-300 zoom lens for animal and wildlife photography. There's also an AF-S 55-200 zoom lens that would work for this.

Anyway, my point is that, while lenses are limited with the D40 and D40x, there are still plenty to choose from and probably more variety than a beginner will need for the first couple of years.

Thanks for those thoughts.

I know how you felt with saving the extra for the D80 :\
Im not in the same position where I can uprgade in 2 years so im hoping whatever my first purchase is will keep me happy for a while!

How much more are the AF-S/I lenses compared to an equivalent in non AF-S/I? (Just a few examples would be ok)

I don't know how much the non AF-S lenses are since I haven't really researched them. YOu can get a 55-200mm AF-S VR lens for about $230. If you want a little more zoom and better quality lens in all aspects, you can get the AF-S 70-300 for around $470 from B&H. I decided to spend less on the camera body (D40) for now and invest the money in a quality lens like the 70-300 VR. This way when I eventually upgrade in a couple of years I'll have an overall better package. Plus the D40 w/ AF-S 70-300 VR lens won't be too shabby at all and will take excellent photos.

I don't know how much the non AF-S lenses are since I haven't really researched them. YOu can get a 55-200mm AF-S VR lens for about $230. If you want a little more zoom and better quality lens in all aspects, you can get the AF-S 70-300 for around $470 from B&H. I decided to spend less on the camera body (D40) for now and invest the money in a quality lens like the 70-300 VR. This way when I eventually upgrade in a couple of years I'll have an overall better package. Plus the D40 w/ AF-S 70-300 VR lens won't be too shabby at all and will take excellent photos.

I was just reading some similar comments from you on another newbie post! :)

Now my decision is harder...

What are the kit lenses like on both the D40x and D80? Ive heard the 400D kit lenses arn't super, just wondering about Nikon :)

The 18-55 AF-S kit lens (what the D40/D40x generally ships with) is a good quality, plastic housed and mounted, fairly slow lens. You can take excellent pictures with it, but it is not very well suited for low light photograpy, especially since it is most clear when you stop down a couple of notches... they call it AF-S because of the internal motor, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it is a true pro-quality AF-S lens...

THe 18-135 kit lens that is basically a "longer" version of the 18-55... it is still plasticish, still fairly slow, but it does take good pictures. The problem I have with it is that it is fairly expensive for what it is... I would like this lens a LOT more if it were either faster, or had VR... you are basically paying $300 for a slow plastic housed lens without VR.

I don't have much of a problem with the 18-55 simply because it is dirt cheap. It is much better, quality wise, than the standard Canon kit lens... but that isn't necessarily saying much.

IMHO kit lenses are nothing more than "stop-gap" lenses anyway, something to "get you by" until you can afford to move up into a better lens.

Thanks for that,thats exactly what I was looking for :)

How does the kit lense on the D80 stack up?

Sorry for the million questions people! This is a big investment for me :)

For me, the D40 would have lasted about 6 months, then I would have hit walls that made me want to get rid of it fast.

No matter what camera you pick.. don't go for the kit lenses. They are affordable for a reason... low quality.

For the price of the kit lens and perhaps $100 more you can get a lens that you could use for life on any DX style camera.. example, the Sigma 18-50 DX EX HSM Macro f/2.8. It works beautifully on a D40, WAY above the quality of any kit lens you will ever see.

That said, if your commitment to photography was not a fad or something you would drop in a year... get the D80. Its a much better camera than the D40.

I had the same questions, but D80 vs D200. I decided to commit to my photography edification myself and made the jump to a new D200 and though I started with the 18-200VR lens (a good lens in it's own right), it soon became obvious it had limitations. Thats when my lens collection started to grow.

It gets addictive fast, but just remember, in the end its not the camera that makes great pictures, but the man standing behind the lens.

For me, the D40 would have lasted about 6 months, then I would have hit walls that made me want to get rid of it fast.

No matter what camera you pick.. don't go for the kit lenses. They are affordable for a reason... low quality.

For the price of the kit lens and perhaps $100 more you can get a lens that you could use for life on any DX style camera.. example, the Sigma 18-50 DX EX HSM Macro f/2.8. It works beautifully on a D40, WAY above the quality of any kit lens you will ever see.

That said, if your commitment to photography was not a fad or something you would drop in a year... get the D80. Its a much better camera than the D40.

I had the same questions, but D80 vs D200. I decided to commit to my photography edification myself and made the jump to a new D200 and though I started with the 18-200VR lens (a good lens in it's own right), it soon became obvious it had limitations. Thats when my lens collection started to grow.

Ive always had an interest just never had the money/time to invest.

By the time I have saved enough to purchase my first SLR I will know if its a fad or not
I currently own a P&S Sony DSC-W35...no manual functions :(

My wife has a film SLR which is nice but every time we press the shutter release I hear the $$ ticking away :p

I am leaning towards waiting a bit for the D80 (body only) + a better starter lense than the kit one.
Any recommendation for an inexpensive (note I said inexpensive, not cheap ;) ) lense for the D80 which would be good to start landscape photography with?

I have been reading the million other threads with similar questions but cant find exactly what im looking for.

It gets addictive fast, but just remember, in the end its not the camera that makes great pictures, but the man standing behind the lens.

Agreed, see my comment above ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back