D80 vs 400D/D40x

Non-IF doesn't mean you can't use polarizers. I don't have any IF lenses and I use circular and regular polarizers all the time. It is slightly harder with non-IF lenses simply because the front element moves when it focuses--just change the circular polarizer accordingly; regular polarizers will not be effected.

The 18-70 does not have VR--there is no VR version.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...AFS_ED_IF.html

The 70-300VR has numerous other upgrades besides VR.

If all you are doing is landscapes, NateS is right: you don't need a 70-300 or 55-200; however, you mentioned wanting to do some shots of animals where you think you need more zoom (up to you). If you don't need too much zoom, get the Nikkor 18-135 instead of the 18-70. Try your best to not get the 18-55. Use the links I supplied in my other post. The 18-135 is an OK kit lens, and you could go with it if you aren't getting the 70-300. It is slower than the 18-70.

Ted,

Thanks for that :) The D40x does shoot well doesnt it! I am still set on the D80 for other reasons than photo quality but thanks :)

Jestev,

Ahhh that is good then :)

Ill heed your advise and stay away from the 18-50 :)

I think what Ill do is go with the 18-135 kit and save a bit of money (to purchase pol and UV filters with).

Landscapes wont be ALL I am shooting, but I will use the 18mm end of the lense more me thinks and 135mm will suffice until I can save for the 70-300VR :)

I can get within a stones throw of most of the animals im going to start shooting anyway :D Once I have practiced on them and feel I can move on up to the 70-300VR ill have $$ again ;)

Sound good?

Ted,

Thanks for that :) The D40x does shoot well doesnt it! I am still set on the D80 for other reasons than photo quality but thanks :)

Jestev,

Ahhh that is good then :)

Ill heed your advise and stay away from the 18-50 :)

I think what Ill do is go with the 18-135 kit and save a bit of money (to purchase pol and UV filters with).

Landscapes wont be ALL I am shooting, but I will use the 18mm end of the lense more me thinks and 135mm will suffice until I can save for the 70-300VR :)

I can get within a stones throw of most of the animals im going to start shooting anyway :D Once I have practiced on them and feel I can move on up to the 70-300VR ill have $$ again ;)

Sound good?

Sounds great. Happy shooting.

Great thanks heaps! Now I start saving...:D

Most reactions

Back