D80

KaleyEs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK... I'm sorry I have posted so many posts about my silly upgrade. I am debating whether or not to upgrade from my Nikon D40 to the D80.

Opinions? Yes? No?

Any help is welcome!

Thanks!

We're gonna need more details than that. :p

What are your goals with photography? Do you feel limited by your D40? Do you think the cost of upgrading will be worth it?

Its not really a simple yes or no, it all depends on how you use your camera and if you wish to go further than you are right now.

Do you realize that possession of a D40 is illegal in the United States? I'm surprised you haven't been caught with that thing yet.

By all means, get rid of it NOW and get the 80.

:roll:

We're gonna need more details than that. :p

What are your goals with photography? Do you feel limited by your D40? Do you think the cost of upgrading will be worth it?

Its not really a simple yes or no, it all depends on how you use your camera and if you wish to go further than you are right now.

Well, I want to learn more about photography and I do feel that the D40 is limiting. However, is the D80 more than I really need right now? That's what I keep asking myself. I think it would be worth it, but I wonder if it will really give me all the benefits that come with the cost. I feel like there is more to learn on the D80 and that ultimately it will offer me more. But do I make the switch right now?

I am so un-necessarily complicated.

If you're questioning upgrading, than you shouldn't do it.

There should be no doubt in your mind. I guarantee, unless you eat and sleep with your camera, and shoot with it almost, if not every day, you'll get more benefit from a different lens instead of a different camera. Or, just go out and shoot more instead of worrying about equipment.

Hmmm, not being a Nikon shooter, i'm less familiar with the complete specifics of the D40. However, i do know it will not auto-focus without a lens that does not have an auto-focus motor in it - a definite limitation.

In what way do you believe your current camera is limiting the growth of your photographic skill? Any camera can help improve your PHOTOGRAPHIC skill because photography is more about transferring memories out of your minds eye onto a more lasting medium. Like deadtoaster2 said, we would need more detail about WHAT it is that you like to photograph the most or would like to in the future.

The D80 is in everyway superior to the D40 - including price. If i were a Nikon shooter, i'd try to make do with what i had (given your situation specifically - the D40) until i had enough pennies saved for the D200 (or it's next generation), but that notwithstanding, i think the D80 is superb camera and will suit you quite well and for a somewhat reasonable price.

Enjoy photography!

frank

You say you want to learn more about photography... well in that respect the D80 won't help you to learn any better. The D40 has a manual mode, so you can learn the basics of exposure, and I certainly can't see how the D80 would help you to learn composition better. I'd say go for the "upgrade" if you feel limited in terms of lens choice, if you find the autofocus or metering inadequate, if you want a larger body, if you think you need the extra megapixels, etc etc... but don't upgrade expecting the more advanced camera to help you learn more about photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back