D800 Announced!

Do you realise that at the same equivalent focal length and same lp/mm, a larger sensor will always beat the smaller sensor in terms of resolution (and sharpness)?

Yes Michael, you are completely right! But SOME people on this forum like to come and hijack threads to give a controversial opinion that they know will cause a flame war. It has been proven on numerous occasion that larger sensors will give better resolution and sharpness than smaller sensors. The issue of a T2i being better than a D4 can not be proven by some poxy test results from some poxy site run by geeks, it has been proven on numerous occassions in real world use that large sensors produce better sharpness than smaller sensors.

But yes I apologise Trever, I should know better. Lets get back on topic..

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not the same as with film when it comes to format.....A 16mp crop frame and a 16mp ff image will have the same file size and pixels. The ff pixels are larger and should have better low light performance but 2 images shot at iso 100 will be hard to see a difference. (My expedience)

It is not the same as with film when it comes to format.....A 16mp crop frame and a 16mp ff image will have the same file size and pixels. The ff pixels are larger and should have better low light performance but 2 images shot at iso 100 will be hard to see a difference. (My expedience)

depth of field will be different using same MM lens of course. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack up with an 85mm portrait lens. I don't even take my cropper in the studio as a back-up cam any more.

Trever will you please post some pics with you new D800 so this thread doesn't tun into a threadjack debate with croppers suggesting all this stuff

Of course I'm gonna show you all how bad a photographer I really am ;)

I'm going to try and take some comparisons against the D700 and then some real world hand helds ...

I have no idea where I stand in the pre-order line. I placed my order at 8am on the 8th of Feb so there may be 1000 ahead of me?

Of course I'm gonna show you all how bad a photographer I really am ;) I'm going to try and take some comparisons against the D700 and then some real world hand helds ...I have no idea where I stand in the pre-order line. I placed my order at 8am on the 8th of Feb so there may be 1000 ahead of me?
Any idea of time frames of when you may get it? I look forward to seeing the results, I also am looking forward to the online reviews of the camera.

Well just reading the manual now seeing how different the AF system is, looks good. No idea when I wil be getting mine, tried to find out but B&H isn't divulging any info other than they receive their first delivery on the 22nd. I ordered 24 hours after they opened for pre-order. Fingers crossed ;)

Man wow some pixel peeping aginst the D700 will be great, maybe I'll be sold on it and pull the trigger on an order too

big_duel.gif

Here comes the waaaaambulance. Can't wait to see hands on reviews. I am waiting to see whether I want the D700 or D800.

I've said it once and I will say it again!

They are trying to steal the studio market with the prosumer level full frame body? WTF????? :er: Please someone explain this to my naive mind.. The D3X was clearly a PRO level studio camera.. this isn't mean to be a PRO camera? Or have I missed something?

You have missed a lot, as usual. The Nikon D800 using the Sony chip will have to compete with 2 Sony A99 cameras in the wings both with 36 megapixels: one will be their replacement for the A900 and their new flagship model also without filters....interesting, eh?

You may not like the direction that the technology is taking, but as far as I am concerned, competition is always good for photographers: amateur and professional.

skieur

I am actually converted on the idea of the D800 now, it has taken awhile but due to some of the informative posts on here concerning the matter. I am having a change of heart, the D800 seems as if it could be great camera! I see the 36MP as overkill for my own needs still, but it will be a highly usable camera by the sound of it.

Am I interested in what Sony is releasing? No I am not interested at all.. I really COULD NOT CARE LESS! :lol:

Whether you care what Sony is releasing is irrelevant. Nikon's point of view and perspective will determine their strategic moves in the marketplace.

skieur

Do you realise that at the same equivalent focal length and same lp/mm, a larger sensor will always beat the smaller sensor in terms of resolution (and sharpness)?

In theory yes, BUT, I have not seen any side by side photos that illustrate your point. Can you direct us to some?

skieur

Yes Michael, you are completely right! But SOME people on this forum like to come and hijack threads to give a controversial opinion that they know will cause a flame war. And that is exactly what SKIER is doing! It has been proven on numerous occasion that larger sensors will give better resolution and sharpness than smaller sensors. The issue of a T2i being better than a D4 can not be proven by some poxy test results from some poxy site run by geeks, it has been proven on numerous occassions in real world use that large sensors produce better sharpness than smaller sensors.

But yes I apologise Trever for reacting to SKIER, I should know better, he should be ignored really. Lets get back on topic..

Well, if you suddenly want to stop insulting me and get back on topic, then PROVE YOUR POINT. Where are the photos?

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back