D800 Announced!

Here comes the waaaaambulance. Can't wait to see hands on reviews. I am waiting to see whether I want the D700 or D800.

Well, I would suspect that Nikon has the noise under reasonable control in the D800 or they would not be putting it out so soon. The more important issue is probably cost/price and that is personal.

skieur

Okay, let's all take a deep breath and see if we can keep this thread on topic and step back on the snide remarks, that way, maybe, jussstttttt maybe it can make 15 pages!

Do you realise that at the same equivalent focal length and same lp/mm, a larger sensor will always beat the smaller sensor in terms of resolution (and sharpness)?

In theory yes, BUT, I have not seen any side by side photos that illustrate your point. Can you direct us to some?

skieur

It's obvious, a larger sensor has more 'mm' therefore has more 'lp'.

Do you realise that at the same equivalent focal length and same lp/mm, a larger sensor will always beat the smaller sensor in terms of resolution (and sharpness)?

In theory yes, BUT, I have not seen any side by side photos that illustrate your point. Can you direct us to some?

skieur

It's obvious, a larger sensor has more 'mm' therefore has more 'lp'.
I don't think it's obvious at all, and agree that in practice it's entirely possible for more "mm" to have fewer actual 'lp'.

Well, I ordered mine within 2 minutes of amazon opening their flood gates. I chose $4 1-day shipping, and I have a scheduled arrival date of the 21st. SUPER excited and anxious to get it in my hands!

Mark

Well, I ordered mine within 2 minutes of amazon opening their flood gates. I chose $4 1-day shipping, and I have a scheduled arrival date of the 21st. SUPER excited and anxious to get it in my hands!

Mark

What lenses are you getting for it Mark?

I have a 24-70/2.8II from Sigma (Yeah, I know, not a Nikon..:er:), 80-200/2.8D (Yeah, I know, not a 70-200..:er:), 50/1.8G coming shortly, Sigma 180/3.5 Macro, and may pick up the 85/1.8G. I know I'm probably not fully utilizing that amazing sensor, but there's not much more I can do. I wouldn't hesitate putting a DX equivalent of those lenses on a D7k. So, I won't on the D800.

Mark

And we haven't take the lens into account. If both the FX and DX lenses are made to have the same depth of field (same entrance pupil), like Helen B said, the FX lenses will outperform DX lenses in terms of resolution per area. I do agree that in practice in might be less obvious because DX/APS-C systems sell more lenses and more money may be poured into it to make it better.

EDIT: I found out that at the same focal length and same depth of field (entrance pupil), the FX lens will outperform the DX lens. But once I have both lenses at the same equivalent focal length, the difference is gone. I guess the only advantage for a FX system is more mm = more lp.

Last edited:
I also pre ordered mine from Amazon. Not sure when I will get. Don't know why I chose the "FREE Super Saver shipping". Being cheap I guess.

Well if I do get it by the end of this month, I will be able to do some comparison shots between D800 and my current D700. I have Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 and Sigma 85 1.4 to do the testing in my home studio.

Just let me know in which particular areas you would like see the comparison shots done. I know most people want to see high ISO performance and 100% pixel peeping.

You can always change the shipping speed until it ships. I get student discounted 1-day shipping ($3.99!). Until then, you can always send me your Sigma 85/1.4 and I'd be happy to test it out for you. :mrgreen:

Mark

By the way, arrival date postponed until April 15-30. Notified the day AFTER it was supposed to be out for delivery. :grumpy:

Mark

Most reactions

Back