D800 or d610

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was basically going to buy a d610 new at the end of the week.

A d800 in excellent condition but 103k shutter has come up locally for approx 950 dollars. I already have a d7200, I'm guessing the d610 would be better for me due similar battery, control, cards etc, but it's a d800 (and no I guess I don't need 36mp)

Anyone have any opinions, thanks

I personally prefer the D800. I really liked that camera a lot... But I prefer the the controls on the pro series.. They use the same batteries and the D800 works with a SD card too.. I just got a D750, kind of wish I got the D810 instead..

But it also depends on your computer as the D800 files can be large..

...But it also depends on your computer as the D800 files can be large..
It depends on what you're using it for; in the studio the D8XX are fantastic, and would be great for landscape work, but for 'run & gun', event work and sports? Not so much... the big files ~35Mb Raw, ~100 - 150Mb TIFF, fill up storage space pretty quickly as well.

as nice as the D800 is, with 100k shutter count I would be extremely tempted to just get a new D610 for the same money.
100k isn't necessarily a terminal number, but it's not like the shutter is guaranteed for a certain number of actuations.
with a new camera, you get everything fresh and under warranty. The peace of mind might be worth more if you don't need the extra MP and resolution the D800 offers.

I guess you would have to research the differences between the two cameras and decide if the upgrades the D800 has is worth getting it used.
while not the D800's 36mp sensor, the D610's 24mp sensor is nothing to sneeze at.

as nice as the D800 is, with 100k shutter count I would be extremely tempted to just get a new D610 for the same money.
100k isn't necessarily a terminal number, but it's not like the shutter is guaranteed for a certain number of actuations.
with a new camera, you get everything fresh and under warranty. The peace of mind might be worth more if you don't need the extra MP and resolution the D800 offers.

I guess you would have to research the differences between the two cameras and decide if the upgrades the D800 has is worth getting it used.
while not the D800's 36mp sensor, the D610's 24mp sensor is nothing to sneeze at.
Ya 36mp means nothing to my needs. I want to pair it with my d7200 which has 24mp and is plenty, and I suppose the fact that they both have similar control it should be what I go for.

I'll shelf the 800 and go with 610 as planned

Thanks all for input

What about the D750? I prefer that over my D600 because of much better low light focus. I shoot my D750 along side my D800, and keep my D600 as a backup.

What about the D750? I prefer that over my D600 because of much better low light focus. I shoot my D750 along side my D800, and keep my D600 as a backup.

I simply can't afford it. Cameras much more expensive where I am. A d750 retails at 2200 euro, grey market maybe 1400, that's 2400 dollars or 1600 grey, there thereabouts. And we don't even get the grip offer

I simply can't afford it. Cameras much more expensive where I am. A d750 retails at 2200 euro, grey market maybe 1400, that's 2400 dollars or 1600 grey, there thereabouts. And we don't even get the grip offer

how much is shipping? do you know anyone here in the US that could buy a camera here and then ship it to you?
im sure the shipping cost would be much less than the price difference between here and there.
it only cost $70 when I shipped a D100 and accessories to India. I cant imagine it costing more to go to Ireland.

how much is shipping? do you know anyone here in the US that could buy a camera here and then ship it to you?
im sure the shipping cost would be much less than the price difference between here and there.
it only cost $70 when I shipped a D100 and accessories to India. I cant imagine it costing more to go to Ireland.
Or even just order straight from B&H or Adorama, they probably ship internationally looks like it would be 1350 Euro with the grip?

I looked into that. Shipping hovers around 100 dollars, import tax is added plus a customs fee, this can be done at source but the saving us minimal, and adds complexity if you need to use the warranty for any issues

Just checked again on b and h in case the deal was better than I thought, but 750 can't be shipped due extra lithium battery in the deal. Ah well

I'd say save yourself some money and grab the D610!

Went for the d610 this morning, should have it in about ten days.

Thanks all for the guidance

Went for the d610 this morning, should have it in about ten days.

Thanks all for the guidance

I suggest you put your wallet in the freezer so it cools down faster so you don't burn yourself.

Took delivery today of new toy. :) :)

Most reactions

Back