D800 test shots & mini review

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently got the D800, haven't had much time to shoot with it, literally only about 4-5 clicks on it as of right now, but I stopped at the side of the road on the way home and found this plant that ended up being a somewhat test shot for it's resolution capabilities....

this was taken with the D800, 14-24 f2.8 lens at 19mm f8 1/100s ISO100, subject was fairly close to the minimum focus distance to the lens, hand held (and in a hurry, it was starting to rain, note the very crooked horizon :lol:)...the shot isn't anything special, but you can see the first shot is the full frame reduced to 800px on the long side...the second is a 100% crop of the main portion just to the right of center frame. these have absolutely no noise reduction, a little adjustment on the exposure and white balance.

like Markw's review, I found the body to be well made, but a little on the small side for me. but with only a few shots and only a short time working with it, I don't think I've given it enough time to make a full review on it. I'm really busy the next few days, but next week I'm going out of town and will have a good chance to put it through the test while I'm on the road. if I get some good shots or tests with it I'll post some up.

D800.jpg

100% crop, to me a crop like this could pass as a macro shot, 19mm macro heh :sexywink:, it makes me want to get the real macro lens on it and do some testing...

d800-100pct.jpg

I also posted up a couple other shots from the same stop in the B&W section:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/278509-abandoned-home.html

they aren't really 'testing' shots, but they were literally the first couple clicks on the body. I was also trying to figure out how to edit the RAW files with them as well since my CS4 camera RAW doesn't support the D800...I've been using DNG converter to camera raw 5.4 compatable .dng files for these pics.

I would have bought 2 or 3 of them...but if it wont run on 4 AA batts...screw them!

I'm loving my D800. But I have yet to put it to any big test, just some shots downtown Seattle. But I'm confident it will surpass just about anything in its way.

as a tripod dweller, absolutely, low ISO is really where it shines with dynamic range and color depth and resolution...but it won't be replacing my D3s for many things...I need a good sunny day to go shooting with it though, and really see how it performs...its been consistantly raining and overcast out here. I also want to put it on my telescope and do some astrophotography with it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back